1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Revamped my site

Discussion in 'Design' started by m112, Apr 4, 2014.

Hello,

I'm a web designer idcreate.co.uk and recently revamped by own website.
    Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the feedback

m112, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Overall it's looking really good.

If I could suggest something it would be this: your home page needs to brag more about your portfolio. Instead of having those two dull images in the slider, put some of the images from your portfolio there on both slides. Maybe even make three slides. Seriously, that slider takes a lot of space there, but renders your index page inefficient.

qwikad.com, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  3. m112

m112 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for your feedback

m112, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Slider = pointless. I would bounce from your site immediately. I want to know why I should hire YOU immediately. However, I don't see that but instead a bunch of meaningless garbage. Drop down navigation (albeit one) - why? It might look fancy, but it doesn't make for a good user experience. You are creating a site for people to look, navigate and decide if they want to hire you, not to impress other designers.

Why are the contact details down at the bottom?!? These should be prominent, at the top (or close to it). Along with links to social media profiles.

What I want to see is why I should hire you, why you're the best, what your customers think (and visit their sites), and how to contact you plus look you up on social media. SM if very important - I should hopefully there find engagement with potential/actual customers and see what your Customer Service is like first-hand.

Oh, and I saw your special offer was close to the bottom of the page - that kind of thing can be eye catching and make someone look further, so you want it immediately visible (but not to take up the entire screen) when someone lands. How it is (a stripe across the screen) seems to work well, just not the right location. Make more of the words into links, such as latest offer - link to a page you always update with details of your latest offers. Select a few others, too, and link to the offer and/or other parts of the website that are relevant to the offer.

So, forget about impressing other designers and think about attracting your (potential) customers.

All the best!

ryan_uk, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's a bit harsh about the slider - they're a great way to get extra content on the page. In this case I found the deliberately fuzzy images hard to look at and the text over the top was disappearing. Could be an age thing but I'm your target market!

Given that you are a one man band I'd recommend getting a photo of you on the page - pay to have them taken. As you are freelance you can fit in with a local photographer to use some of his downtime at a reasonable rate - and make a valuable contact at the same time. I've got friends who have done this for work and the shots were amazing - much better than you'd get as a DIY and professional, not cheesy.

I've got a pretty big screen but I found the bottom half to be much more appealing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, and always talk in positives. Look what my eyes scanned the first time round...
    upload_2014-4-7_11-18-7.png

sarahk, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The problem I have with sliders* is more often than not they aren't used to put extra content on the page, but instead take up valuable screen real estate with very little content and fancy pictures (gimmicky). The part of the screen they typically located in is the main content area within immediate eye view without anything eye-catching/important (with that stuff usually being stuffed below).

*My comment was more about sliders in general than the op's specifically.

Also, on tablets and smartphones (both are a way a lot of people are accessing information now, so usability on these as well as laptops/PCs/Macs/whatever is very important), I usually find a lot of the sliders are slow and/or don't work properly. I think it was answers.com that, until recently, had a slider for its answers, which was very slow on tablets/smartphones, but even on laptops/desktops it was an annoying way to access information (especially as it was sometimes one short sentence per slide).

I would agree with you regarding the fuzzy images. I felt like my eyes were broken. This only works well if you have something within the image in focus to take attention, but there is not. (@m112: Ask a photographer about it, if you know one, or read up on bokeh.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    ryan_uk, Apr 6, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. Smartlink Solutions

Smartlink Solutions Member

Best Answers:
    ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/idcreate.co.uk

It's good but the offsite link building needs some more work. You currently have your money keyword over optimized off site. The anchor backlink profile should be 2% for each money keyword. Right now it's too high. You need more generic anchor, more brand variations, naked url and such. It's good onsite though.

Smartlink Solutions, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  8. m112

m112 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ryan_UK, Sarahk and SmartLink Solutions for constructive feedback.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    m112, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  9. Gregory Kowalski

Gregory Kowalski Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am able to assess this site as photographer from the advertising, marketing view point.

Your website if visually appealing, fresh and crisp.

However there are some drawbacks:

1. Header image of Forth Bridge does not good very well, if you are based in Edinburgh, why did you include picture of that bridge? picture of yourself with a smile would be much better.

a) The main problem is text on this picture, it is not positioned well. and white font does not work there, to overcome this problem you can change transparency of this picture.
    The same problem with second picture.

b) Slider between these two images is not necessary at all. it confuses the viewer.

2. Title of the website is totally different than logo, i do not see any consistency here.
    I suggest changing the title to IDcreate |Eye-catching Web Design in Edinburgh - Low Prices
    Term "Low Prices" is not encouraging for your potential clients, but it also depends on your target audience.

3. Contact details at the page bottom are easy to skip and why did you keep your flickr photos there. In my opinion, this is not relevant to your business.

4. Portfolio, there is one portfolio example "Alba St Andrews" with a bad image quality, and it keeps an eye attention. Please do correct this.

5. This wording: "Don't waste your time. You're one email away from a high Google ranking position" from get in touch and SEO tabs. I have feeling that someone is pushing me to buy and make me hurry and this is not a good feeling indeed.

Generally, your website is well made with some small problems easy to correct.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

Gregory Kowalski, Apr 12, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  10. m112

m112 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for your feedback.

I'm looking into changing the main picture.

m112, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  11. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Without reading any of the above:

Waste of space slider, does nothing, adds nothing, wastes bandwidth and a massive amount of space above the fold.

You talk about yourself way too much. Everything's me, me, me, me, me. Why would I give a monkey's buttock who you are or where you're from? I want to know what you can do for ME, for my business, not whether you're a native Martian with three left feet. I want to see client logos, portfolio images and what I get for my money, the reasons to hire you and what I can expect - in other words, the stuff that you've hidden way down near the bottom.

On top of that, I don't care about your opinion or justifications. Example: "When I browse the Internet I would like to know prices for the services that I look for". So what? Just tell me the prices. Example: "Each web design project is different this is why it so hard to give an exact estimate without your requirements". Ignoring the grammar errors, don't justify yourself. You do not need to excuse yourself: state your average price range, tell people to contact you for a precise quote based on their requirements and leave it at that.

And I disagree with your statement that you believe in building "simple, clean, user friendly and unique websites", since yours has artsy-fartsy stuff like that massive slider and the wobbly testimonials thing.

And why do you have Flickr pictures in the footer? Are you a designer or an amateur photographer? Stay focussed.

I also found the text to be too small and uncomfortable to read, since it's full width.

All in all, I think you need to redo all your text. Get the errors out, make it more confident and get rid of all that narcissism. Focus on the client, not yourself.

Hope it helps.

TIEro, Apr 13, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  12. HostingRaid

HostingRaid Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the overall design and colors but I agree, not a big fan of sliders.

HostingRaid, Apr 14, 2014 IP