1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Results feature suggestion

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by dkalweit, Mar 24, 2004.

I had a suggestion. Is there any way the interface could show a
    hyperlink for the current ranking("3, 3+4, etc.") that links to the specific
    page that was listed in the google results? It would help to know which page
    that google found first that matches the required keywords. Thanks.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've messed around with doing something like that before, but it always adds to clutter in the interface. Another problem is the data center you are using may be different than the one the API currently sees (since data center routing is IP address specific). And I *really* don't need thousands of people emailing me asking why they see it one or two places different than what the keyword tracker reports.

As far as calculating what page it will be on, Google by default shows results in multiples of 10, so 1-10 will be first page, 11-20 second page, etc...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2004 IP
  3. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry-- I guess I was unclear. Let me give an example. I have two searches for "Network Monitor" in my list. One that checks "http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/", and one that checks "http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/Overseer.asp". It's clear, based on the results, that the first one is finding the "Overseer.asp" file, and not the root-- I'd like to be able to somehow know, without adding the "/Overseer.asp" entry, that google's results are showing the "Overseer.asp" page... This will help me in optimizing seperate pages for different words, hoping to get the traffic from numerous key phrases-- all without doing an extra search(wasting API searches from my key) for each link... Ideas? Thanks.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Truthfully, probably not going to happen. The only way that could happen would be to store the URL it found on the back-end for every ranking (there are millions of rankings stored on the back-end so just that one piece of data would grow the back-end databases by over a GB.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  5. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    What I see being REALLY useful is making the "Rank Number" itself clickable to the Google Page of interest. This should be pretty easy to do, since you simply construct a URL that has the keyword(s) in it, divide the Rank Number by 10 to provide the right set of pages, and then you got one-stop clicking to see where you page *should* be on Google (and who is around it).

This is slightly different than what you are asking for, but puts you in the ballpark and would be much less resource intensive, since no data has to be kept around - everything to build the URL is allready on the screen.

I have this feature on my personal keyword tracker and I like it a LOT ... and I think the implementation described above is fairly "clean" as all you are doing is making a number clickable where it wasn't before. I've "nagged" Shawn about it a few times over the last year, so I hope he doesn't mind one more nag! ;-)

His concern about bazillions of people Emailing him about how come Google is different that his tool is a valid one - maybe he could have the URL go to an internal page first that says "results may be different - DUHHHH!" and then redirect 'em to the Google results (Shawn could put banner ads up on that re-direct page! ;-)

alek

hulkster, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's really my main concern with making it clickable... Almost 8,000 users now, and I already get far too much email with things I think are obvious (how do I add a keyword, how do I delete a keyword, etc.) So maybe an annoying JavaScript pop-up dialog saying something like... "Due to data center variations, the results you see are not going to be the same results everyone else sees. blah, blah, blah..." before it lets you click...

- Shawn

7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I got an idea Shawn ... make this "clickable Rank Number goes direct to Google" an OPTION that the user HAS to set in their Preferences. I.e. it is NOT the default behavior, which filters out a good number of the not-so-smart-people ... and for those that want to set it, you can put a clear disclaimer about the limitations if you do use it.

I hope I'm not coming across as pushy - I just personally find this very handy with my own keytracker, and I bet if you turned this on for yourself ONLY, withen a week you'd like it too! ;-)

alek

P.S. I realize even with the above, you may end up with more Email - hopefully, you can direct 'em to the forums/FAQ ... or perhaps suggest they Email /dev/null@localhost ;-)

hulkster, Mar 25, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Suggestions are good... I might try it to see how it goes (but if I still get bombed with emails, it may go away).

- Shawn

9. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you need to store this info in the main rankings table... Simply 1-10 entries(typically 1) for each configured keyword search. I'm not sure what your DB schema looks like, but I'd see something like this:

Keywords.iID(PK)
    Keywords.cKeyphrase
    Keywords.cURL

Rankings.iID(PK)
    Rankings.iKeywordID(FK)
    Rankings.tDate

LinksFound.iID(PK)
    LinksFound.iKeywordID(FK)
    LinksFound.cURL

The LinksFound table wouldn't grow, but rather be regularly updated/pruned to keep the size down(updating versus deletion/insertion helps prevent DB fragmentation).

Calculating, 8000 users, with an average of 100 keywords each(probably high?), and LinksFound entries being 263 bytes long(4+4+255), that's 210MB or so(worst case-- use varchar and you'll use a lot less).

I could live with just the link to the search results themselves, and I would certainly understand that the results could be different(anyone who does any sort of SEO should know this)...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Mar 26, 2004 IP