1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Restricting bandwidth usage on server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by NewComputer, Jun 18, 2004.

Does anyone know of a good tool to restrict bandwidth used per website. I am hosting a few sites and I have noticed that one site seems to be abusing the bandwidth. Fees are set in place, but I have no real way of monitoring except manually. It is a linux based server running apache. Any ideas. I heard a program called net limiter, but I believe that is windows based only. Thank you in advance.

NewComputer, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you talking about total bandwidth or throttling back their peak usage? Total bandwidth can't be done unless you have a tool that evaluates their logs (probably daily, then shuts them off). The problem with that is the logs aren't an accurate way to measure bandwidth. Someone could request a 10MB file, but cancel it after 10k, and the server still logs it as 10MB.

If you want to throttle them back, you can do it by IP address (depending on your platform), but it would require that each site has a unique IP address.

digitalpoint, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Each site does not have a unique IP. I am worried that the ISP I am on will cut off all the sites if this one clown does decide to continue to 'abuse'. I will charge more, I guess, but I am sure I read somewhere before you could run a software program that would monitor and kill certain sites, apps, etc... if they went over a certain amount... hmm... if not, probably be a handy little tool.

4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    We have sites hosted on linux based server running apache. Host does something freezes a web site that runs over alotted bandwidth usage. We have had this happen several times. With a reseller program we are allowed a specific amount of bandwidth. We have to subdivide that amount among our clients. If client goes over, it does not matter that reseller package as whole still has bandwidth to spare, that client is shut down. We have to contact our host and ask host to change bandwidth allotment for client to keep client up and runnning. Our control panel does not allow us to override allotment. I have no idea how host measures/monitors bandwidth usage.

Shannnon

Smyrl, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmmmm, so it can be done, whether manually or software is the question.

6. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    hi,
    I use cpanel and WHM (cpanel.net) it's expensive and I get the ISP or datacenter to throw it in.

M

expat, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  7. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    how do you configure cpanel? I'm interested in this also!

misohoni, Jul 19, 2004 IP
  8. onlineshopping

onlineshopping Banned

Best Answers:
    Actually i need to left understanding the concept of cpanel

onlineshopping, Jun 2, 2008 IP