1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Responsive Websites - Is it necessary to make an app?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mqs1000, Apr 17, 2014.

My friend has an idea and wants both a website and a phone app. If I use a responsive Wordpress theme which adjusts itself for mobile phones, is it even necessary to make a separate phone app? Can you add the website itself to an app store and have it function as an app (just basically opens up the website which will look exactly like a phone app). Hopefully I'm making sense. Is a separate app necessary?

mqs1000, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  2. digdogger

digdogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm currently looking into this as well, as my app will just be the website optimized for mobile. On apple, you can just make bookmarking your site function like an app, with startup screen and no browser gui. For it to be in the app store, there'll need to be a wrapper app. I think there are some sites what will build this for you from your site url.

The biggest problem for me is redesigning my site for the phone, I have a lot going on on the wesite, and a lot of old code. I'm wondering if anyone has done any big responsive design conversions.

digdogger, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  3. SuperiorWD

SuperiorWD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I never worked on apps, just created a design that would 'morph' properly to accommodate smaller displays. Many designs (that are still not responsive), can be tweaked to be like this, though it can be a bit of a hassle. Anyway .. some good CSS knowledge and time on your hands and you can make it work.

SuperiorWD, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My question would be is it actually an app, or is it a website; the two usually do NOT mix well; but to be fair as a rule I HATE web crApplets. They're bloated, slow, inefficient and when combined with websites piss all over the accessibility of the site. NO amount of responsive design can compensate for endless pointless scripttardery.

... and I don't even want to THINK about the disaster of letting websites into the various app stores would be. Of course, you'd also have to figure in which app stores you are targeting since they actually require applications, and xCode based apps for iStore isn't gonna fly on 'Droid stores -- and don't forget the Windows Store with it's metro-tard HTML 5 crap. (that helps explain why the number of windows phone users can be counted on one hand)

deathshadow, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  5. Serinth

Serinth Peon

Best Answers:
    Responsive design is definitely the easiest way to go because of re-use. But if you want true native functionality like touching the contacts, memory card and the core systems then you'll need to make a native app. This generally means better user experience and integration with their hardware. Of course this requires a larger amount of investment.

A responsive app also assumes constant connection to the internet as well. The app can function regardless of internet connectivity and so this could go to a wider audience/lead to more use. You can always sync the data later when there is internet connectivity.

Serinth, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  6. kenzo22

kenzo22 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can add an app which simply opens mobile website to the store (YouTube app for Windows Phone for example).

kenzo22, Apr 22, 2014 IP