1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Responsive Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by turtile, Jun 29, 2013.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for creating a responsive design? I'm planning to make a new website and it's something I'd like to do. At the same time, I'd rather save time and read guide rather than play around until I get something to work. Most of the guides online tell you what you can do rather than providing you will actually coding help!

Thanks

turtile, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    deathshadow, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

It's a pity you don't do a small lightweight little something with a Bootstrap / Google look which would be much better deathshadow as Bootstrap is pretty to look at on the surface but boy is it heavy and full of stuff that perhaps ought to be kept apart as a list of things that could be used. Same can be said for the HTML5 boilerplate Paul Irish and that crew put together by all accounts.

I think Bootstraps biggest appeal is how it looks out of the box, as it we're.

5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which I don't get since it looks like ass, and is inaccessible CRAP here.

I wouldn't, but as I just said, it's ugly as sin here with accessibility failings. Google's been pissing on their own roses design-wise for about three of four years now (like the illegible menu bar in px fonts) to go with their endless pointless broken javascript for nothing (hand in hand with their "Oh, you like Opera? Go **** yourself" attitude) to the point it's like they've forgotten what put them on top in the first place. They're lucky nobody who understands what made them great has the resources to kick them in the crotch the way they did everyone else ~fifteen years ago.

It's bad enough that it's the stupid bloated HTML 5 idiocy that I STILL cannot fathom how anyone is DUMB ENOUGH to see benefits to using -- but that halfwit IE conditional comments crap around multiple HTML tags makes it so Irish best hope we never meet in a dark alley, as only one of us would leave.

But that's true of pretty much everything I've seen in 'frameworks' so far as web development is concerned -- fat bloated crap that makes things harder to do and slower to develop, with nutters out there making wild claims that it's somehow easier and faster... BULL-FREAKING-****

deathshadow, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  6. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    But it's only the visual look I mean, not the actual coding per se. That's the thing many want to emulate, as in the "style". EG the way the buttons look and an across the top of page navigation bar which is then good for mobiles.

The code it's self (for Bootstrap for example) is so damn heavy it, to my mind, sort of defeats the object.

Though, it might suit Google and mobile phone providers etc for things to be heavy as that means people will use more bandwidth/resources and so mobile users will spend more to load pages little by little which all adds cents upon cents and so makes more money for said providers/vendors. Or perhaps I am being overly anti mobile phone provider/vendors in my way of looking at things.

I am likely making little sense as am falling asleep and off to bed in a sec

It's getting announced next year HTML5 is the new way things are to be so what can people do in that case from 2014 to the 2022 window for the change over to that HTML5 format?