1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resource Scheduling website - new project

Discussion in 'Programming' started by thequi1ter, Feb 15, 2012.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I should look for information on how to code up a resource management website. A brief description of the project is that I have to set up a site using ColdFusion that will allow multiple users to book 12 conference rooms on a daily basis. I'm sorta having a hard time getting my head around exactly how to go about this - however I figured I'd use some nested tables to present the list of rooms - in the left column - allow the user to pick which day of the week or possibly month/year that they want to book the room - then enter information about the meeting that they're booking - with the final result being a visual representation of how many hours they've 'reserved' and display graphically how many hours (in 15 minute increments) remain.

So at a glance a user could determine how many rooms are still available, how much time is left or used on any given room/day, etc. x 12 rooms.

I'm hoping to end up with a grid-looking page that would be dynamic based on the queries to the db that lend themselves to re-sizing the table fields based on amount of time used vs. available.

My problem is that once I have the list of rooms (populated by a list in the db); I'm not sure how to go about setting up the rest of the page with the appropriate tables/fields that's visually appealing. I have done something similar to this but it's not 'graphical' - just displays the text and the users want something more 'at a glance' friendly so they don't have to read all the details - such as I display what time the rooms are free - like time of day on Conference Room 1 - last meeting is over at 3:00 p.m. - so they're saying they'd rather see a bunch of empty blocks representing the last two hours of the day (which would be 8 empty squares) which means the room is available until 5 p.m.

Hope this makes some kinda sense...any direction, suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks much!

thequi1ter, Feb 15, 2012 IP