1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resigned -

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Blue means they either you or I are color blind, I see gray.

Roman, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be silly. Have you seen the UN lately?

minstrel, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  3. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Guess I'll have to start wording my posts and bring things down a few levels in order that even the simplest minds here will understand . :eek: :rolleyes:

shygirl, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Or just don't post until you actually have something intelligible to say and the necessary communication skills to say it? :rolleyes:

How you managed to convince someone to make you an editor of anything at all astounds me.

minstrel, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  5. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    shygirl,
    Brevity is the soul of wit.
    -Shakespeare

torunforever, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  6. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shygirl, talking, better writing about simple minds, finally I can't help but jumping in this thread. Did you ever consider your mind being too weird as being able to elaborate a post that makes any sense to anybody?

vulcano, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think she is a real person. In my opinion, DMOZ editors are getting tired of running around defending DMOZ, so they are working on a script that automatically rewords DMOZ official policy for corruption and posts it to forums.

Shygirl is a version 0.0001 of this script and that's the cause of all the bugs in her posting. ;)

gworld, Dec 9, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  8. PlantNut

PlantNut Active Member

Best Answers:
    The internal forums can be daunting, especially to new editors - ODP has its fair share of strong-minded personalities, who do not hesitate to say things just as they see them. But discussion is never quashed in those forums - not even metas can change or remove posts. Just about the only thing that will really get you in trouble is disclosing private conversations with fellow editors without their permission. Spendlessly doesn't strike me as a timid person, yet I haven't seen him speak up in the forums. I don't mean this as an attack on spendlessly, but I'm wondering why he bypassed the internal forums and the abuse reporting procedures in ODP. No matter how paranoid gworld is, you may be sure that there are far more editors keenly interested in rooting out abuse than there are abusers.

PlantNut, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  9. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    On a sidenote -

Since the beginning of this thread, obviously DMOZ has become aware of who I am and taken necessary actions to make sure that I can not divulge any possibly damaging information.

I thought that everyone might be interested in hearing what I have been seeing in my logs...

I have a couple project websites, which have never been submitted to DMOZ. They are now receiving mysterious referrals from DMOZ... They most likely pulled the information from my DMOZ profile, found the one site that is listed in DMOZ that I am affiliated with, and then went on to do a whois to see if they could find out anything else about me. They have obviously deactivated the account in question by this time as well.

I think it is good that they disabled the account - but they didn't close any holes... They simply nuked the account which I used to test a hypothesis I had made (and confirmed), and assumed that they have fixed the problem - then went on to "research" me... have at it. This is the very problem that allows the DMOZ system to continuously be exploited.

Whomever is doing their little background check on me is undoubtedly reading this thread - and to this person I would like to say... are you happy? You see that I have done no wrong as an editor... what motive would I have to make false statements in regards to DMOZ editor corruption. Even after seeing that I am not a revenge seeking ex-editor - I have received no query as to what they can do to better protect their directory. I will allow the multiple other accounts I obtained as part of my research to expire, and will not log into them, as they have served their purpose.

I have already obtained all of the information I need to protect myself if litigation is brought upon me, and moreso - I have collected ample evidence that my claims are factual. I'm so pieved that I could spit. A perfectly good directory going to shit. I have forwarded the information I spoke of yesterday to a trusted internal acquaintance at/above the DMOZ level, and will leave it at that.

Best of luck to the ODP. Best of luck to those of you who edit for the ODP. It was a pleasure being a part of for awhile.. and while my original account has still not been uncovered - best of luck on your campaign to fight corruption, I hope that in the future you open your ears and minds to the sources that be rather than blackballing people who think theres a problem.

Spendlessly, Dec 9, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  10. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    Well in that case start with wording the post to make sense for yourself first, because when sombody like you shygirl has one of the simplest minds here it will hopefully help you understand your own post. :)

Red, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about it. When I started to post here, I was getting so many hits from DMOZ (my site is not listed) that DMOZ was in second place for search engine referral. Some weeks it was in first place. They gave up after a while, so they don't show in stats anymore.

Something that is very wrong with your thoughts in this matter is that you are still assuming that DMOZ editors who defend corruption don't know about what is happening and wonder why they don't ask you any question on how to improve it.

THEY PROBABLY KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CORRUPTION THAN YOU DO. Wake up and smell the coffee, they don't defend corruption because they don't know, they defend it because anything that stops corruption is UNACCEPTABLE to them. ;)

gworld, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  12. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    It sounds to me that you (Spendlessly) as all abusive editors have been investigated and removed.
    As an ex-editor you should have known (and everybody else is allowed to know) that an editor must provide a list of all sites (s)he is affiliated with. Not providing this complete list in itself is already an abuse. As is making any internal discussions public and as is having more than one account.
    The only thing you have proven is that you abused the system in several ways.

To make things clear. We know there is abuse within DMOZ. There has been abuse in the past and there will be in the future. We will also do everything possible to fight this abuse. If anyone outside DMOZ has any prove of abuse we are also very happy if they tell us about this abuse with any prove they have (and no "my site isn't listed yet so a compititor must be abusing the system" isn't prove).

pagode, Dec 9, 2005 IP
    macdesign and compostannie like this.
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Correction:

"We know there is abuse within DMOZ. There has been abuse in the past, There is abuse now and there will be in the future. "

I think with these 2 sentences, you gave a perfect description of DMOZ and what the editors wish for. ;)

gworld, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  14. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have to disclose any of my affiliations that I became affiliated with AFTER resignation. Check the date on the whois asshole.

15. DustyG

DustyG Guest

Best Answers:
    Spendlessly,

Let me see if I'm following you correctly.

You open this thread with something like:
    And then go on to say you are prepared to abuse your access to the directory:
    Followed by an example of how corrupt you are:
    And then to threaten DMOZ:
    You admit that you have basically disregarded nearly every guideline DMOZ has asked you to abide by... DMOZ asks you to not publish internal forum posts, you do. DMOZ asks that editors do not obtain multiple editor accounts, you do. DMOZ asks editor not to be self-interested, and yet you have done nothing but show you are (as in you weren't editing to make the directory better but only to show how you could manipulate it). And after all this nonsense you portray yourself as some kind of do-gooder just trying to help and DMOZ is corrupt because you managed to trick them?

I've got to ask, when you see a fence that says "No Tresspassing" do you climb the fence, make terroristic threats to the property owner and then take out an ad in the local newspaper to publicly ridicule them because you tresspassed and they didn't shoot you? Then go on to blame to property owner because you're the one that acts in a pretty extreme manner?

From your last post you seem upset that DMOZ would investigate an editor who appears to have some serious issues and could bring even more problems to the directory. Did you think they wouldn't check you out?

I'm not sure what you expected when you opened this thread... Certainly I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with this thread, but I do wish you luck in trying to find the fulfillment you seem to desperately need.

You are pretty twisted my friend... I think I dated you (by the way, the restraining order is still in place, so no this is not an invitation to call me).

DustyG, Dec 9, 2005 IP
    lmocr and compostannie like this.
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes:

Look, pagode. Maybe it would help if you took your head out of your a$$ long enough to actually read what Spendlessly has posted. Stop trotting out your collection of DMOZ form letter posts and either read what is being posted and think before posting yourself or just do yourself and DMOZ a huige favor and shut the hell up.

Addendum: And more of the same stock BS from DustyG. Please read my comments about pagode. :rolleyes: Then note that Spendlessly is not "threatening" DMOZ - s/he has taken action. It is a fait accompli.

minstrel, Dec 9, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    That is what i meant.
    As an editor I know that there was abuse in the past (we have prove of this). I am also very certain there is abuse right now at this moment (some we are investigating already, some we may not know about yet). And I am also sure there will be abuse in the future. But I'm also sure that we will do anything to uncover any abuse done within DMOZ, remove the abusing persons and restoring any harm they might have done.

pagode, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

What you are saying is that some times you will uncover the corruption and some times you don't. The ones that you don't uncover, can have started in the past, it is ongoing at present time and will continue in the future.

Please tell me the reason why DMOZ editors are so interested in uncovering the corruption but have no interest in implanting procedure that stops the corruption. :rolleyes:

I already know the answer from editors previous posting in this thread, stopping the corruption is unacceptable to editors. ;)

gworld, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  19. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    If they really wanted to stop the corruption, they would inquire as to how people are obtaining multiple accounts. Obviously they don't know - or it wouldn't happen.

This information is key. There is only ONE... I repeat, ONE person - besides my own personal contact - who has shown the least bit of concern in regards to the security issues I speak of. And they CAN NOT be brought up internally if you want anything to be done about it - because your account can be disabled, and your ability to prove anything taken away.

The lack of concern - concerned me, but I have washed my hands of it. I have no regrets and will move on with my life. It will be painful to watch the ODP erode from the inside out due to security holes and dishonest publishers.

Will.Spencer likes this.
  20. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes. It can well be possible that some abuse has been done in the past and is still uncovered and by so the same person will be able to absue the system now and in the future until it is uncovered. I (and I think also you) don't like it but such is live.

I am interested in anything that can help us prevent as much abuse as posisble (I don't think it will be possible to prevent all abuse). I also thnk that most editors are interested. Good solutions given by non-editors will certainly be discussed internaly by editors. But some of these solutions will do more harm than good. It is always a balance between keeping the abuse (by editors and webmasters alike) to a minumum and not harming the good editors and webmasters at the sametime.
    I think we all understand that there is abuse amongst editors and webmasters and I hope we all are willing to fight this abuse and help each other to do so. To my opinion the number of good editors and websmasters is much higher as the number of abusers. That's why some editors don't like statements like "DMOZ is corrupt" or "editors abuse DMOZ". If some people are corrupt it doesn't mean all people or the whole organisation is.

pagode, Dec 9, 2005 IP