1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resigned -

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005.

I have resigned my editor rights to the ODP.

I added countless authoritive sites to the ODP over the span of time that I was an editor, and I will contribute no more.

The rumors are true. Internal corruption > DMOZ. I can bear it no longer.

Add a legitimate site... competing editor removes it. Call him/her on what they are doing and they create nothing but drama for you.

All this for free... and in my spare time. No thank you. :mad:

I hope the ODP burns to the ground.

Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    STVP and gworld like this.
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry you feel that way - what site was it that created such a problem?

lmocr, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  3. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    When Alucard resigned, he had a history here at DP. But you? You just signed up here, so what credibility do you have to prove you were ever a DMOZ editor in the first place?

torunforever, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  4. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    well, i guess you'll have more time to concentrate on your Adsense and Chikita revenue now. To each his own.

bradley, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  5. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't look like you've been around much longer than him eh?

petertdavis, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    torunforever and gworld like this.
  6. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    To get back to the first post -- I don't care for your post count + join date -- What I'd like to know is if you were in a competitve (==high paying) category ?

frankm, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    All you guys beat him up so bad - now I'm never going to get that URL so I could prove the idiot wasn't actually an editor after all. :p

lmocr, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  8. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    send him a pm, maybe he'll crack. ;)

Test-ok, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  9. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you're right, but I just was questioning whether Spendlessly was really a DMOZ editor, not making fun of DP newbies (such as myself).

Sorry. Perhaps he will spill the beans in another forum. Be on the lookout at other webmaster sites.

torunforever, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  10. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Where is our resident shrink when we need him?:)
    This statement is quite significant. This person was most likely an editor. I have never seen this scenario described like such in a public forum before.
    However, the resignation may not have been voluntary.;)

riz, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  11. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    To answer one persons question. No, I was not in a competitive area - and there was little/no corruption in my small neck of the woods thankfully.

I haven't posted much on this forum - correct.

Take my post as you will, I have nothing to gain or lose from "proving" my past editorship for the ODP. Anyone can become an editor... just apply - that's what I did. Then perhaps you can be the next to take a stand against the many forms of internal ODP corruption.

Here is a brief summary of a couple of my experiences as an editor. I was really gung ho about being an editor at first... proud, you know. As a result, I quickly went through all of the pending sites in my categories queue and then went about actively adding pages I found.

When trying to gain the right to edit a second category, I found that being shot down was nothing out of the ordinary. This is probably a good thing in some ways, but bad in many others. There are people at DMOZ in such a position of power that they can reject editors requests to edit particular additional categories, and for some - they are merely securing their positions in their category, by making sure nothing else will be added.

There are multiple levels of "editor" in the ODP. I have to go to work, but I will post more when I get there. It's my pleasure to go into further detail.

Spendlessly, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I address you now from work - what a joy :(

At any rate - on my commute to work, I was thinking about all of the low down, deviant things I've seen first hand - and I got a bright idea.

As my account remains in tact, and I have informed no one internally of my resignation - I still have the ability to logon, perhaps it would be prudent for me to exploit the ODP on a much larger scale... screenshots - the works. I see that there is hesitation in believing that such a "reputable" directory could be so corrupt. Anyone who has had the displeasure of browsing the ODP editor forums has seen many many cases of habitual violations of the ODP's very own rules.

My primary reason for making these posts, is because I see that masses of people are being treated unfairly. The ODP should be accepting all sites that are authoritive, quality sites. This is not happening. Greed is preventing the ODP from becoming what it SHOULD BE. I have brought this to light multiple times to higher ups in the ODP chain, and each time I have felt brushed off - as if they are aware of the issue but don't care if it is resolved.

It was probably not wise to make one of my first posts on this forum negative, as I am typically a very positive person - however I believe that the truth needs to be known in regards to the ODP.

Something else I'd like to address. To the masses of poor folks ranting that their sites haven't been added to the ODP and they've been waiting x amount of time - it's already been deleted. I always made it a habit to send an e-mail to those I rejected stating why, and what they could do to their site that would increase its chance of being added. Many editors will simply delete your site with no e-mail, and no second thought.

I have seen "sites in queue" - however if you have been waiting a year, re-submit. I don't care what anyone says. It should not take a year to be approved. I have never seen a backline that couldn't be managed in a couple weeks time - it has happened, but it's not a major problem unless the category has editors that don't ever check into see if anything new has been added... in which case they should have their rights revoked after... I believe 3 months.

... have to go Exchange Server just went down at work - oh let the day begin.

13. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, go ahead and post the screenies.

petertdavis, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  14. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you addressed two issues, Spendlessly, what do you think is the worse condition at DMOZ, corruption or laziness?

If editors are corrupt, that can have a much more negative effect, but I don't think it's too bad if some editors aren't reviewing sites enough. Given no corruption, there should be someone else higher up that can pick up the slack.

torunforever, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  15. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally believe that the corruption is far more a problem than the laziness in the more competitive industries... and not so much in less competitive hobby, or smaller niche interest categories.

In the small niches, laziness very well could be causing the extreme delay in new site additions. In general, it seems that the meta-editors (higher ups) do a good job of watching their underlings' queues - but in some areas a site CAN go unreviewed for a very long period of time, if not indefinitely.

With nearly 80,000 editors - there certainly isn't a shortage... and with that many editors, there shouldn't be sites waiting in queue for months - let alone years.

16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. And if they are waiting that long in queue, there is something terribly wrong with the infrastructure of the organization, volunteers or not.

minstrel, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  17. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Spendlessly - if you really had been an editor you would know what the 80,000 figure really means.

You also would also know how the editing procedure actually works, and you would not be talking about queues - since there is no such thing, and you would know why submissions could be sitting around for years without being reviewed.

So in fact you are really just another troll.

{it is possible you were an editor with very little experience who never quite caught on to the ODP concept. The idea of queues and reviewing sites in order of submission is something that seems to be a normal way of thinking for new editors. After some experience, editors begin to realize these ideas have no meaning]

macdesign, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  18. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    This sounds like someone was editing incorrectly, was chastised, and is now throwing a public hissy fit.

How can you add countless sites when you only edit in one category? I haven't added countless sites and I edit in a couple hundred categories - I've added thousands yes, countless - not even close. How can you say in one sentance that you've resigned your rights and then in another say you still have your account?

You insist that there is rampant corruption - but then you say there was no corruption in your area. How do you know there's corruption if you haven't seen it? Because you got your hand slapped for doing something you infer that the person slapping your hand (or their associates) is corrupt?

The requirements for obtaining a second category are just as stringent as those for becoming an editor, however, an editor's editing history is available to use as a determinant for granting those additional permissions. If someone is not doing a good job at your place of employment are you going to give them a raise? Or are you going to tell them what they're doing wrong - or slap their hand - and withhold that raise until they've shown they understand what is expected? Same concept.

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Since some senior editors have more than once in the past contradicted what you've just said here, macdesign, maybe you should reconsider what (and why) you bother to post at all. It's hard to remember anything useful that has been said in ANY of your posts.

Maybe it would be better if you'd just go back to your business of selling DMOZ status information :rolleyes:

Las Vegas Homes likes this.
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Not to me. But your post sounds exactly like what RZ mentality editors do when any criticism is posted about DMOZ - revert to personal attack and obfuscation.