1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Researching niche keywords

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by kelp, Dec 1, 2005.

First off, what exactly is a niche keyword? Would that be something that no one almost ever searches for, like vermicomposting, or would it be something broken down into a more specific subject. For example, fish --> livebearer --> guppy. I'm a little confused about niche website topics. Are they a rare subject that hardly is ever searched, like hydroponics, or more specific categories, like Computer Hardware --> Mice? Rather, that's not really a valid question since hydroponics is the spawn from garden --> indoor --> hydroponics.

What I'm trying to say is, would it be more valuable to get something with no competition, but only gets 800 total searches a month or something that gets around 140 searches a day with more competition? I always thought that niche subjects were subjects practically nobody makes websites about, like the keyword of mitosis or something, so you could get in the top SERP's in search engines.

Let's say I do determine what a niche is. How would I go about researching my competition? I read somewhere that I should put the keyword in a keyword suggestion tool, see how many searches a month it gets, go to google and type it in, and see how many websites there are. If there's over 50,000 websites, I shouldn't pick that niche. Well, I did that with almost all of my subjects and none of them are less than 50,000 websites.

kelp, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  2. kelp

kelp Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, maybe more people will reply to this question. I hope I don't complicate this anymore, but:
    I'm fiercely researching terms on nichebot, and I have some questions about creating content sites with the researched terms. Let's say I'm looking for aquarium related niches on nichebot. I say to myself, "Aquarium lighting seems like an interesting niche due to the low competition and high amount of visitors". You can't really make a whole website with tons of articles dedicated to aquarium lighting, though. One page seems like the max you could go about aquarium lighting with, maybe five pages in-depth, but that's about all.

So, should I pick a more rare subject like "vermicomposting" where you could talk about the different types of worms, produce, bins, and such articles?

Also, how many daily searches would be recommended to make a decent amount of money on a niche content website?

kelp, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  3. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I think it would be worth your while to read through the articles at www.websitepublishing.net

Pick something you know about and get some pages up. Watch the stats to see what terms start bringing people to the site, then branch out.

Shoemoney started a thread months ago that presented his ideas for growing sites. Had a lot of great ideas in it.

mhdoc, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  4. MikeRob

MikeRob Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest that you use Wordtracker for your research and as far as determining if a keyword is good to use that all depends on the competition vs the search count.

MikeRob, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  5. kelp

kelp Peon

Best Answers:
    How many daily searches should I go for to make a decent profit with PPC ads like Adsense? I'm just going to spit out some keywords. Let's take "cold sore remedies", it has a decent amount of daily searches, but there's only so much you can write about it, yet a whole site dedicated to that term. There are also many terms related to "cold sore remedies" like "cold sore remedy" and "cold sore cure" which yield basically the same searches give or take fifty. Should you only optimize for "cold sore remedies" or go for the whole nine yards and optimize for "cold sore remedy" and "cold sore cure" on different articles?

How would you know if a specific term earns well in Adsense? Could you search the keyword in Google and look at the sponsored links to determine the amount of money to be made?

kelp, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  6. kelp

kelp Peon

Best Answers:
    I was looking around some webmaster forums and some people mentioned something called brute force SEO for each article of a website. Like having a page dedicated to diseases and viruses, but heavily optimizing each article about an individual disease. This seems better than making one website dedicated to an invidual virus like cold sores. It seems like the more I read, the more complicated everything gets.

kelp, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  7. Windows-Update-Advisor

Windows-Update-Advisor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yeah, learn from the masters and keep testing until you find the solution that works for you.... . actually I am still learning / testing here.... :p

Windows-Update-Advisor, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  8. Bompa

Bompa Active Member

Best Answers:

I read this formula somewhere last week and was suprised because it is
    very true for my two years online.

1 unique/day earns approximately $1/mo

I'm talking about profits via PPC.

I think a niche market is one overlooked by most vendors because it has
    too little demand for them to bother with.

Bompa

Bompa, Dec 6, 2005 IP