1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Requirements for "Buy, Sell or Trade" does not allow memebers to earn money

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by _doctor, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi All

I wonder what are the reasons for setting the 25 posts requirement before letting to post to "Buy, Sell or Trade". Doesn't it leave the forum members without more job offers?

Take me as an example. Couple of months ago I realized that I'd like to hire a blogger for my site on agile software development methods. Somewhere on performancing.com I got good recommendations for the Digitial Point forums. Unfortunately, I was unable to post the ad, because of the requirements. As a result I hired a blogger via a different job board.

This month I decided that I need to hire one more blogger and since my blog topic is quite narrow the best hiring board would be the popular Digital Point forum. And again I am unable to post the offer. This time I am not in such a hurry and can try quickposting 25 times (including this point), but still there is a risk that I get tired and Digital Point members won't even see the offer.

I realize that every board has own rules and policies. I just wonder what could be the reasons for rules that leave the forum members without the job offers. Do I miss something?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  2. karl turnbull

karl turnbull Peon

Best Answers:
    you missed the rules :D read them and then a few of the SPAM threads , then you will have a clear understanding, the rules are in place to help everyone in this forum , and everyone who joins MUST stick to them , regards karl

karl turnbull, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    That is exactly the point of my wonder.
    Where does this rule come from? and are the reasons still relevant?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. karl turnbull

karl turnbull Peon

Best Answers:
    well i suppose the rules come from ( shawn ) the owner of this forum , and yes they are still relevant :)

5. BribeMe

BribeMe Peon

Best Answers:
    probably to keep the spaming / hit&run way lower than it would have been if anyone with 1posts first day could post in there.

See not even me that don't post that much.. is way above that limit.

BribeMe, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  6. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Why exactly in Buy/Sell then? Aren't members interested in random headhunters there?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  7. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    Doctor is simple, this is shawn forum and he decide the rules as he wants. You do not make to dp a favor by publishing your ad, you make yourself a favor by publishing your ad. As i see from your post, you have the impression that dp will benefit from your ad. This is not true. There are even forums where you have to pay in order to place a job advertisement, seeing especially that dp has such a targeted audience. So, be tahnkfull to shawn that he lets you publish the ad and follow the rules.

In other words, dp is not america, democracy, or other sh1t. Dp is shawn forum , and you obey by his rules. You do not, you are welcome to leave. There is no need for shawn to give you explanation for his facts. Simple as that.

nickflame, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  8. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I am not going to break any rules. I know very well that there are forums whose business model is to allow ads for money. However, it is not relevant for my question.

I just would like to know the reasons for the rule to exist. Indeed, I don't quite understand why an extra job offer can hurt a forum for those who earn living from writing and SEOing.

Please, realize, I am not trying to shut the rules down just because I like them different. I am just interested to know why the rules here are as they are. Isn't it logical for a new forum member to figure out the forum values and principles?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  9. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    Rules are there to be obeyed not to be explained. After this you are planning to ask why there is a 30 limit of pm s per day (is there such a thing?) , or why you can t rep the same user twice in a day, or every other rule?
    Read the rules, follow them and do your job.

nickflame, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  10. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't "Suggestion and Feedback" exactly a place where the forum principles are to be discussed and changes suggested?

I would gladly do my business and post my offer, but exactly according to the current rules I have to simulate that I am interested in explaining my point to a person who questions my understanding on what my business is and what I should be interested in.

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Without some minimum requirements the BST section of the forum would be a huge spam fest. It's far from perfect now, and without some minimum requirements for posting in that section it would quickly become completely worthless to everyone.

The post requirement isn't a perfect solution either but it's better than not having any requirements, that's for sure.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  12. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, what about a separate forum for "Sell" with a captcha before every topic start? I guess a job offerer can and maybe even should be ready to enter the catcha code. For the regular members posting offers anyway isn't the everyday activity, is it?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  13. karl turnbull

karl turnbull Peon

Best Answers:
    dude , you started this thread with your fist post on dp :) you now have 19 posts ;) 6 more and you can post away were you like , happy days

14. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now that I see you're trying to get to 25 posts by posting in the Suggestions/Feedback forum, I think this forum shouldn't count towards post counts.

EGS, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  15. _doctor

_doctor Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Also I think the "feedback" forum is a place to let the forum admins know about the new users impressions

Why not? I am discussing an issue that is of real interest for me and it is almost a suggestion. What's more, according to my understanding my issue is of some importance for those, who are already members of the forum.

Would it be of a bigger value for the forum if I just added "me too" or "I fully agree" to the 25 random topics?

_doctor, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  16. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Geeze, we never thought about that.

Ok, we'll change the requirements ASAP-

...tell your friends!!!

Crazy_Rob, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    amitpatel_3001 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.