1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Replacement for Dreamweaver's site sync

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by IT_Architect, Jul 11, 2019.

People are forcing me back into web development for certain line-of-business web sites. I Need replacement for Dreamweaver's site sync because it is the only thing I find useful that it has.
    With Dreamweaver:
    1. You can mark certain folders in the remote view that you want it to ignore (cloak) and it will remember and never sync them.
    2. When doing updates you can ask it for it to sync newer files from the web server to the local drive, send newer files from the local drive to the web server, or send and receive, which will give you a list of newer files on the server and newer files on the local and the recommended direction they should be copied, which you can edit.

I like Netbeans, but when I tell it to ignore certain directories, it still goes into them anyway and returns 20,000 constantly changing cache files from the remote site, and it uses filter check boxes. I can't trust anything I have to turn off synch for 20,000 files and play with check boxes to find the relevant ones that it sees should be synched. I don't remember anymore if Aptana had anything like Dreamweaver either anymore, but if there is a plugin like what Dreamweaver has for coordinating web sites with local hard drives, let me know. I don't care if synching is all that it does well. It just needs to know how to:
    1. Have a way to maintain which directories should be ignored on on the remote site.
    2. Show me a editable list of what needs to go in each direction for change or approval.
    3. Be able to transfer the files using FTP, SFTP, and FTPS.

Thanks!

IT_Architect, Jul 11, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You're braver than me. I transfer and test files as I go. Would github serve your purposes?

sarahk, Jul 11, 2019 IP
  3. WebPeer

WebPeer Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe try FreeFileSync? As the name says it's free.

Can connect to remote server via sftp or ftp.

You can check/uncheck which files to synchronize. Been using this for the last... can't remember anymore that was long ago, sorry.

WebPeer, Dec 16, 2019 IP