1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rent or Colo? tips for new web host?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by taterthedog, Oct 31, 2016.

Do you rent your dedicated server from a hosting company, or do you own your equipment and use a colocation? im asking the above question more for curiosity.

Also, I have a Dell R210 II running ESXI with a E3-1280, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hdd sitting in a colo in downtown ATL. i currently have a cpanel VM on the box and i use it for my websites. im concidering getting a WHMCS license also and maybe trying to sell off some hosting. is it really worth it for someone who has a full time job elsewhere to get into web hosting? how much time do you spend maintaining your servers/supporting end users a week? I appreciate any advice or tips anyone can give on the matter.

taterthedog, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  2. Dowsons

Dowsons Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends, sometimes we just need a server in other country or continent, in that situation rent server is much more reasonable choice.

Dowsons, Nov 2, 2016 IP
  3. UnderHost_MSA

UnderHost_MSA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Colocating your equipment is way cheaper on the long terms while renting is cheaper in short terms. If you only have few clients you won't have much time to dedicate to those client as long everything work nothing to worry but in case you're going into issue your client will expect you to be available 24/7 if you are working full time this won't be possible but then again with simply a few client it should be doable.

UnderHost_MSA, Nov 3, 2016 IP
  4. Accuratist

Accuratist Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Colocation is for sure cheaper in long-term perspective, but as already said above you can not put your servers in other continent if its needed without going there or sending your server which is also pricey and risky.

Accuratist, Nov 9, 2016 IP
  5. Bony1454

Bony1454 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The main question is do you plan to work for a long while or for short?

Bony1454, Nov 11, 2016 IP
  6. Gagsburg

Gagsburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have to understand what results you want to reach.

Gagsburg, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  7. ScissBee

ScissBee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I prefer to rent. Yes price is higher, but you get not only hardware for hosting, but also service like support and management.

ScissBee, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  8. Galperin

Galperin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Renting is more expensive but it's worth it as you get support and help in any time you need it.
    Just my two cents.

Galperin, Nov 16, 2016 IP
    billzo likes this.
  9. Lamorld

Lamorld Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Any specific server location? Your server location must be close to the target location of your audience.

Lamorld, Nov 17, 2016 IP