1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Renaming Wordpress

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by misstheresa2009, Apr 26, 2016.

Hi Everyone!

I plan to start using Wordpress exclusively for my clients and I want to start using a white label plugin. My question is, if I use a white label plugin, can I give Wordpress a new name such as ABCpress or MyCompanypress? Has anyone here ever done that? I know some CMS programs allow white labeling but it was never really clear if I can change the name of the program.

I realize this might be a question better directed to an attorney. I just want to know what some of you think, if this has been done or is this considered ethical.

Best Regards!

misstheresa2009, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's completely possible - I assume you're talking about wordpress.org here. Wordpress is licensed under GPL v.2, and you're free to modify any part of it as you see fit. HOWEVER, that entails a few rules you have to follow - I suggest you read the license, which can be found here: https://wordpress.org/about/gpl/

I don't, however, see the point. Wordpress is a recognized name (and unless you think of making significant changes to the source code, easily recognizable by looking at the code), and your "brand" will be a see-through attempt of renaming it. Personally, I would think it less valuable, since I would have no guarantee that the installation would remain updated (since these modifications would have to be done and redone to source-code, and would disappear on updates) and so on and so forth. My suggestion: forget about rebranding. Better, just use Wordpress, but create some sort of management-plugin or theme that you can use as a starting point, and brand _that_ instead.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A quick google of

whitelabel wordpress

comes up with some useful articles from respected sites such as wpmudev.org and plugins hosted on the wordpress.org site

based on that I'd guess it's allowed.

sarahk, Apr 26, 2016 IP