1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Removing "Last Post" column from vbulletin?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by I. Brian, Oct 14, 2005.

I'm looking to remove the "Last Post" column from the vBulletin forum index and individual forum pages (forumhome?) but I'm under the impression that it's going to be a little more complicated than I can currently appreciate.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to remove it successfully from the vbulletin templates, please?

I. Brian, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you just trying to do this on the index page or on all subsequent pages too?

SEbasic, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Why would you want to remove it? I think it's pretty useful myself. Anyway, I don't think it would be TERRIBLY difficult. Search templates for <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">$forum[lastpostinfo]</td> and you should get the 2 you need to edit. Might be as simple as removing that string from it.

In FORUMDISPLAY...
    Remove this:
    <td class="thead" width="175">$vbphrase[last_post]</td>
    Code (markup):
    In FORUMHOME...
    Remove this:
    <td class="thead" width="175">$vbphrase[last_post]</td>
    Code (markup):
    and change this (in 3 places):
    6<else />5
    Code (markup):
    to this:
    5<else />4
    Code (markup):
    I haven't tested it myself, but off the top of my head, I *think* that would do it.

Edit... if you have sub-forums, you might need to make a plug-in to alter $forumbits at some point too.

digitalpoint, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  4. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I want to remove the Last Post column on Platinax to cut down on the number of duplicate URLs and also focus attention on the links for the categories and threads.

I'm also looking to narrow it so that it would display more neatly with a three-column layout, without creating a cramped mess of links inbetween.

Generally, squeezed between two columns, it would seen so much neater...

Thanks for the suggestion, Shawn - I'm afraid it doesn't seem to work, though. I've got a funny feeling this is a far more complex editing job, but I can't be the first person to have looked to remove it.

I. Brian, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well a really easy way to do it (if you are just concerned about links creating duplicate content) would be to add "rel=nofollow" on those links.

digitalpoint, Oct 14, 2005 IP