1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Remote Site / Local Freight Calculator

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Crazy_Rob, Jan 31, 2005.

I've been given a fun little project to complete ASAP.

Basically my company has an extremely complex Cobol freight calculation program. It gives us a competitive advantage becuase we can immediately give the customer the exact amount UPS will charge us.

Printed out it's hundreds of pages. Right now our ecommerce site doesn't quote freight amounts. And obviously this hurts sales a little (although we still get 50+ orders per day online).

I'm going to program the site to write a .CSV to a local server after the customer chooses their preferred shipping method in the checkout procedure. This .CSV file will contain the order number and kick of a .bat file.

Then the Cobol program will read the remote MySQL table, calculate the freight based on a number of factors (items, weight, size, packaging, # of parcels, zip code, service, etc...).

Does anyone have experience w/ this? And if so, does this sound good and can you offer any suggestions or tips?

Crazy_Rob, Jan 31, 2005 IP