1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reliable PNG support for IE6

Discussion in 'C#' started by decodethis, Mar 31, 2008.

Hey everyone,

I've just launched a new ASP.NET site that uses Ajax extensively. I use a lot of PNG images for their transparency, and everything works fine... except in IE6. :( I see a lot of solutions for PNG transparency using javascript or behavior tags in CSS but none seem to work for me using ASP.NET 2008 (3.5 framework with nested Master Pages).

Does anyone have any suggestions? My PNGs just won't support transparencies in IE6.

Thanks!

decodethis, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  2. mythbuster08

mythbuster08 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to target also IE6, you can not use alpha-transparency with PNG. More or less simple. You either create a non transparent version for all or for IE6 users only or you simply tell IE6 users to update to IE7 or switch to FireFox.
    I always found it funny that people use virus-scanners and firewalls, but still surf with IE6 though everybody should know that this is a severe security risk.

mythbuster08, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  3. decodethis

decodethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My app is a business app and I know that some IT departments (like my day job for example) still use IE6. It sucks, but it's a reality of life until IE7 gets shoved down their throat. The PNGs on this site aren't huge (mostly buttons) and don't look excessively horrible in IE6, so I'll just live with it if there's no easy solution. I personally can't wait for IE6 to go the way of the dodo.

decodethis, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  4. tacosalad

tacosalad Peon

Best Answers:
    tacosalad, Apr 2, 2008 IP