1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Registrar Transfer Question

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by T0PS3O, Jun 3, 2005.

I've transferred one domain to be pointed from host A to host B. It all went smooth enough.

Now I'm going to transfer a domain from registrar 1 to registrar 2 but keep it aiming at the same host.

So instead of the site's location moving I'm now moving the location of the domain, sort of.

The current registrar mentions: "Transferring the domains out requires us to have the IPS tag for the person you are transferring to."

Question is, as soon as we do this, what will happen?

Will there be down-time or will nothing happen at all in terms of what the end user gets to see? Does stuff need to propagate or what?

I look forward to hearing the low-down on this process...

T0PS3O, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    If you keep the nameserver info the same, there will be no downtime. Good luck

ServerUnion, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yeah the way I understand it is that only the ISP tag will change.

Thanks for the confirmation!

T0PS3O, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think only the registrar tag would. Just send the request through and accept the request via the email they will send you. Process will take a few days...

ServerUnion, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  5. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's a .uk domain (which since we're talking IPS-KEYs it must be), the transfer is pretty damn quick nowadays. The process is slightly different than with .com's in that with .uk domains it is the outgoing registrar that initiates the transfer.
    The entire process can be completed in less that an hour, then you just need to wait for the cTLD zone file to propagate - so the change shows up in the whois.
    Name server entries shouldn't change, however, that will depend on who you're transferring the domain to. I know of a few ISPs/hosting companies in the UK that automatically change the nameserver entries on all domains transferred to them.

jlawrence, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The site isn't moving hosts so why should the nameservers be affected?

Anyway I spoke to both registrars now and they concurred what you guys said. The releasing registrar is the only one who can spoil the feast by 'blocking' the domain during the process apparently but besides such a calculated cock-up nothing will be affected as far as visitors are concerned.

T0PS3O, Jun 3, 2005 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    One more thing though. Once the releasing registrar sets the domain to the receiving registar's IPS tag, do we have to inform the new registrar or do anything at all or will all magically transfer?

T0PS3O, Jun 6, 2005 IP
  8. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    Once the "old" registrar releases the domain, It should "magically" appear in your account at the "new" registrar. Nothing further should be needed on your end.

Caveman, Jun 8, 2005 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.