1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

register a company in canada?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by raven2424, May 22, 2005.

hello

i was wondering if its possable to register a domain or company so that if someone was to sue my site it would be a comapny so that i cant personally be sued... kinda new to this some links to info would be nice and info from other memebrs thanks

raven2424, May 22, 2005 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you plan to do with the site that would make this a primary consideration?

If you own a registered limited company in Canada you can purchase a domain name in the name of the company. Then I suppose the company would be sued instead of the individual, but if you own the comapny and are the president and chairman of the board you might be charged for having your company conduct illegal or fraudulent business.

compar, May 22, 2005 IP
  3. raven2424

raven2424 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the site is www.xr-host.com and i dont own a company i was just wondering what i can do to protect myself and make my site become a comapny down the road once it becomes bigger of course.

raven2424, May 23, 2005 IP
  4. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    legally, you (or the board of directors) would be responsible for the actions of the company. So whether the site was in your name or the companies might not lessen your liability.

jlawrence, May 25, 2005 IP
  5. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's still YOUR company. My web design business is legally registered to me, so I'd assume if my company were sued, then I am being sued. This is a strange question. :confused:

Colleen, May 25, 2005 IP
  6. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    To decrease your exposure of personal liability, you must incorporate your business -- not just register it.

If you incorporate your business, then any lawsuits or legal action arising from your business are brought against your corporation, and not you personally (unless it's fraud/illegal stuff).

This way the farthest that anyone could sue you is the assets of your company.

Of course you need to see a lawyer about all this and not simply rely on a message board posting for legal advice.

oalhajjar, May 25, 2005 IP