1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ref="nofollow" in my sitemap?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by DSR, Feb 15, 2006.

Hey guys and gals!

I just took a look at the source code of my sitemap (created by gsitecrawler) and every link in it has: ref="nofollow" . Is this hurting my sitemap? To me it's blocking the spiders form going to each link. Should i remove that code form every link and resubmit? :confused:

Thanks for the help!

DSR, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  2. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    yea, that kind of defeats the purpose of a site map.

kaptain, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  3. DSR

DSR Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i figured that. Strange. Not sure why the program did that and glad i caught it. I'll manually edit that and resubmit it. Darn thing...

DSR, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  4. seamus

seamus Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not too sure about this.
    See http://www.seoconsultants.com/html/links/nofollow.asp and http://www.google.com/webmasters/bot.html#noindextags

Was it "ref"?

seamus, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  5. tkluge

tkluge Peon

Best Answers:
    with ref="nofollow" on a link (tag "a") you can indicate to the search engines that the link to this page shouldn't count as an outgoing link - this is interesting e.g. for comments in blogs, in forums and other pages that you can't control but you wanna give the users the option to post links.

Tobias

tkluge, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  6. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I think there is something confusing here :D

"ref=nofollow" has no meaning.
    "rev=nofollow" would mean that it shouldn't follow the current page (ie where the link is on) - which is nonsense :)
    "rel=nofollow" is the one you're talking about.

It's important to make a distinction, because Google ONLY recognizes the proper one!

That said, I can't imagine that the GSiteCrawler would generate a sitemap file with rel=nofollow in it. A Google Sitemap is a XML file, there are no rel-attributes that could be set. The standard does not recognize any of that.

The two places I could imagine a rel=nofollow (but not in the original program):
    - in the XSL stylesheet to the xml sitemap file: That's just for easier viewing and not read by Google
    - in the html-sitemap file which can be generated by the GSiteCrawler: again, it's not in the default template, but you can add it if you want (not that it would make sense, though :D)

Send me the link, I'd love to see it!

softplus, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  7. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello all,

I know it has nothing to do with, but do you think rel=nofollow can have any influence on the affiliate's tracking cookies? My idea is to use it on my affiliate links...

Thanks,
    Ivaylo

abraxas, Jan 17, 2007 IP