1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reducing bounce rate on a site - advice needed

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by s3alax, Sep 10, 2015.

Hi all,
    I recently launched a site http://www.buildingagamingpcsite.com/ and am gradually picking up extra visitors and page views through a combination of social media plugging (on Twitter and Instagram), and commenting on other relevant site's comment pages.

The problem I have is that the bounce rate is really high and the time on site is low too, plus I'm asking people to subscribe but so far I've had not a single sign up or even a comment.

It's only been a week or so and I understand it takes time to build up a user base. I've optimised my SEO and chosen a niche I'm interested in with keywords that I think have potential to get me noticed in search.

Can anyone provide tips on getting people to subscribe and comment? I had been using a SumoMe pop up asking people to subscribe but have now dumped that as I think it might be putting people off.

I'm very new to this so would appreciate any pointers you have!

Thanks in advance :)

Does anyone have any tips

s3alax, Sep 10, 2015 IP
  2. professorrosado

professorrosado Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I see many information sites cutting up their articles into a few smaller pieces and providing a navigation element within the post to allow the reader to go from one part to the next (another post). This implementation, along with very interesting content - like a top ten list, for example, should reduce the bounce rate. Nothing can resolve issues like GOOD WRITING and GOOD CONTENT! Most blogger's issues with seo and traffic start there!

professorrosado, Sep 11, 2015 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You don't like the bounce rate nor the retention rate? Simple solution. Give your visitors a REASON NOT TO LEAVE. Apparently your CONTENT is DRIVING them away. And apparently your CONTENT is NOT convincing them to sign up.

So, back to the basics. CONTENT - CONTENT - CONTENT.

mmerlinn, Sep 12, 2015 IP
    wwstewart and Mehdi.b like this.
  4. vgopalsujith

vgopalsujith Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Use Clean navigation, interlink other posts and add widgets like related , recent and popular articles..etc so that the readers can check those posts aswell.
    2. After trying so hard all I could find was 2 articles. How do you expect to decrease the bounce rate with less content. So first concentrate on writing quality content with interesting titles.
    3. Improve site speed
      • Remove unwanted scripts from site(I see many sharing widgets on your site just use any one this can increase in site speed)
      • Use Optimized images when I checked a screenshot image the size was 3.9 MB and that post has like tons of images in it (I am sure optimizing images itself can increase your site 3 times. When I optimized the 3.9 MB image using Tinypng.com it reduced the image upto 69% making it 1.2MB just imagine how much size can be saved from that single article? - http://www.buildingagamingpcsite.com/screenshots-what-to-expect-from-a-high-end-gaming-pc/)
      • Try to merge .js files, I could see atleast 10 .js files running in the above article

vgopalsujith, Sep 12, 2015 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  5. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep - ditto what everyone else already said.

More (quality) content

And maybe some other type of header with links because what you have now is a bit underwhelming.

If you want people to sign up for your email list, give them a reason to. Something to look forward to, some kind of incentive.

Senobia, Sep 14, 2015 IP
    wwstewart and Mehdi.b like this.
  6. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I visited your site. Grammar and spelling appear to be essentially good, though with a distinct British slant. Layout does need improvement.

What I did notice, is that your landing page is WAY too long. Not only that, but explaining how to do something does NOT belong on your landing page.

Your landing page should be just that, a landing page and nothing else, with links to your pages with content, and maybe a short synopsis of what your site is all about.

Now for your article on how to build a computer. First, get it off of the landing page. Second, break it up into logical chunks. For example, a page just for the required tools. Not everyone needs nor wants to read about which tools are needed. Give them a choice to skip to what they really need to know. Based on your write up, I would probably put each paragraph on a separate page with a page number link bar at the bottom and named paragraph links in a menu either at the top or on a side of each page.

Speaking of tools, you need to clarify exactly which tools are required. Not everyone, in fact probably most, do not know what a British torch is. When you say, "torch" millions and millions of people immediately think of a fire-belching tool to melt solder, not a tool to light up their work. And a cross-head screwdriver? Like which kind? Phillips? Frearson? Cross-recess? Pozidrive? or what? Not every type of cross-head screwdriver will do the job required in your write up. And which size screwdriver? The wrong size either won't fit, or it will destroy the screw head.

I did not read the whole article, but I am sure that there are other improvements that can be made. Dumping a HUGE page to digest on someone, with no real way to pick and choose what to read, will definitely keep your retention rate lower than it should be. I would not worry about the retention rate on your landing page, but if you can't retain those who go to your other pages, you definitely have a problem.

mmerlinn, Sep 14, 2015 IP
  7. megamind22

megamind22 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you write quality content that engages your readers and break it into bits with a link for them to click to the next page to continue reading like my fellow warrior had rightfully said, they will stay much longer if the content is engaging.

megamind22, Sep 14, 2015 IP
  8. Anthony Krese

Anthony Krese Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    100% bounce rate and no interest (in a validated niche) most likely means you
    have a targeting problem. You aren't targeting / driving the correct traffic back to your website.

My guess is you are targeting intermediate to advanced level gamers. You are driving
    them to a site with a home page that describes how to build a gaming pc from scratch. Most of them
    have already built a gaming pc. That's not the info they are looking for / interested in.

Lastly, I'm not a gamer. But my tech knowledge tells me this niche must be massively saturated with
    extremely good content from both independent journalists, retailers and manufacturers. Why should I go
    to your site instead of theirs? What do you have to offer that they don't. What is your unique spin?

Are these "steam machines" a new thing you can jump on? Can you target people who are steam machine users (fans) or newbies interested in building a steam machine? Steam machine fans or steam machine reviews, etc. You've got to think outside the box or niche down to compete with large established sites.

I agree with others, the design is a bit amateur-ish, especially for a tech related niche. But spend more time thinking about the above problems, before design. Lastly, the domain is a bit odd. At first I thought your site was about how to build a website.

Anthony Krese, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  9. Blogzandstuff

Blogzandstuff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    just been to your site and you lack clear navigation, no menu. also i was looking at a your site only for the screen to change and you showing a huge popup which is annoying so i left. I don't use popups on any site as not only are they annoying to visitors but can crash browsers for slower connections. You have a signup box in your widget area and then annoy me with a popup asking me to sign up for emails, basically i will sign up if i want to not because you ruin my session with a popup

Blogzandstuff, Sep 21, 2015 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  10. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone covered it up pretty much, it is all about your content and how you can convince them to stay.
    Your website seems a bit too wordy and also not designed for a good read. It is too long, check out a heatmap tool like
    Crazyegg to see where people are looking. It is too long and more of an old blog not a website feel.
    Good luck

Mehdi.b, Sep 21, 2015 IP
  11. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main thing here is to reduce the bounce rate of the site as much as possible and in order to do this its not just "content" but an interesting and engaging story that will encourage the audience stay in your site page because they know it has benefits to them and possible sharing to others.

KylieSweet, Sep 29, 2015 IP
  12. Leilani Sniffen

Leilani Sniffen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Had to look up what "bounce rate" meant.

DEFINITION: It represents the percentage of visitors who enter the site and then leave ("bounce") rather than continuing on to view other pages within the same site.

That means that the visitor is not intrigued enough by the Headline, etc. of that page to continue. It takes just seconds to review a site and make that decision to "bounce." How do I know? Because that is what I do, too, when I am going through someone else's website/squeeze page/leadpage/blog/etc.

Check your copy again to where visitors are bouncing from and ask yourself if you were them, would you leave too? Then if yes, change your copy.

This is called tweaking.

I too had to learn that just recently. About tweaking my email content.

Leilani

Leilani Sniffen, Sep 29, 2015 IP
  13. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your website needs to rank at the top of the search engines for the keyword phrase "Building A Gaming PC". Then your bounce rate problems will be solved. When your website is in a niche like that, you can't target the masses because most of your visitors aren't interested in that topic.

gregdavidson, Sep 30, 2015 IP
  14. jawal

jawal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is common issue facing by all the website owners. Increase in bounce rate is because of so many things on website, Your website is having good content but no good structure then it causes to increase bounce rate. So you have to consider all aspects of your website and try to improve as per viewer and search engines.

jawal, Oct 1, 2015 IP
  15. mrupp2006

mrupp2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Improve Bounce Rate is fairly simple. Improve the look and feel...pretty much enhance the user experience. Think about it like a theme park, you need to add new rides and visuals to keep people interested.

mrupp2006, Nov 20, 2015 IP
  16. kimanierick

kimanierick Member

Best Answers:
    the pop ups usually irritate me very much and that might be one reason. Then the landing page should not contain a lot of irrelevant information that is boring to read. Just make ut simple, interesting and straight to the point, by that I will be interested to sign up and keep coming back. but the content is really good. trust me on that all you need to improve is the site itself, the design and make it easier for the reader to navigate through

kimanierick, Nov 21, 2015 IP
  17. genoshost

genoshost Peon

Best Answers:
    the pop up is a good idea, maybe improve the look and feel would help

genoshost, Nov 21, 2015 IP
  18. wwstewart

wwstewart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wwstewart, Nov 25, 2015 IP
  19. Jason Joel

Jason Joel Active Member

Best Answers:
    These are some useful tips to reduce bounce rate
    The most powerful way to reduce bounce rate is to adjust it by calculating the time spent on a page.
    Stop targeting keywords/ marketing channels which are sending low value traffic
    Create landing pages which satisfy visitor’s query
    Make your ‘Call to Action’ relevant to your landing page
    Develop contents which can be consumed in short span of time
    Create landing pages which are visually appealing & load fast

Jason Joel, Nov 28, 2015 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  20. mohsin qureshi

mohsin qureshi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone already covers all the main points here. Yes without the quality of content maintain, you cannot achieved you goal, or more visitor. Also the popup is really irritating. Look of the web page must be digitalized; you must put the structure of your work on the main page, some images also necessary for this.

mohsin qureshi, Dec 6, 2015 IP