1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Redemption Period on GoDaddy - How long?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by C-Academy, Jan 30, 2007.

I found out that the domain I want to buy is in redemption period, this is from godaddy whois:

Updated Date: 12-jan-2007
    Creation Date: 01-dec-2005
    Expiration Date: 01-dec-2006

Considering this when should it be deleted/free to buy?

C-Academy, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    70-80 days after the expiration date.

Colbyt, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  3. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Note the OP stated the domain name's current status is redemption period, so
    s/he doesn't have to wait that long.

Once a CNOBI domain name reaches redemption period, it'll stay that way for
    30 days. If not redeemed on time, it'll switch to pending delete for 5 days 'til
    it's finally released.

If the WHOIS details is correct, count 35 days from the last updated date. So
    the domain name will "approximately" become available by Feb. 17 (unless I've
    got my math wrong :D).

No one can seriously give an exact accurate date. One can only guess based
    on existing factors and policies.

Dave Zan, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  4. C-Academy

C-Academy Peon

Best Answers:
    Tnx, I realy hope to get this one.

C-Academy, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  5. Tenk

Tenk Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, if a person lets a domain to go into redemption period, its a very high chance they wont renew it.

Tenk, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But of course they won't renew it. It's more costly to redeem it. :D

Dave Zan, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is still a small chance that they would if the domain name is valuable to them. But I guess if someone waits till that long, chances are the owners do not value it that much to bother to renew. Then there is still the probably that someone else may be queuing for that name.

eddy2099, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. cobes

cobes Guest

Best Answers:
    Just a warning for unsuspecting customers. I registered about 20 domain names this time last year. Here's what you MUST watch so you don't have the SAME problems I am having right now.

When you register a domain with GoDaddy, I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT take the "private" registration even though it is free for the first year!!

I took it with ALL of my domains and when it comes time to renew your domains, it will now cost you about $9 to continue the privacy in addition to the $8.95 for the renewal.

Now here's the catch. When you want to remove the privacy from your renewal, you can't do that in the GoDaddy account manager. You MUST login with Domains By Proxy and here's the problem I'm having. They NEVER sent the confirmation email containing the login details that you NEED to be able to login to remove the privacy from your domain.

So, you are NOT able to VERIFY your identity!! I have been back and forth with GoDaddy and Domains By Proxy for the past 3 days trying to give them everything they could possibly need to verify my identity.

I've faxed them my drivers license WITH my PHOTO ID, a copy of my sales confirmation email from GoDaddy and so far that's NOT enough???!!!

The point here is they will make you jump through hoops to prove you are the VALID owner of the domain just so you can remove the privacy charge.

Now get this, GoDaddy OWNS Domains By Proxy! They SHARE the SAME fax number but when you need support, GoDaddy can't help you with your problem. It would seem reasonable that GoDaddy and Domains By Proxy SHOULD have a BETTER working relationship regarding customer identity validation.

I have actually been a satisfied customer with GoDaddy for about 5+ years and overall I think they are a good company IF you ONLY want to REGISTER a domain, and IF you AVOID the privacy that they offer during the signup.

If Domains By Proxy would have just sent my confirmation email with my login details, I wouldn't be posting this message right now. I would've been able to simply login to my account and remove the privacy and went about my business, STILL a satisfied customer WITH the ABILITY to make my OWN decision. EVERY domain doesn't have a "need" for privacy and the customer should ultimately be able to make that choice. Anything short of that is unacceptable.

So, I now have 20+ domains that were registered at the same time last year and they ALL have privacy and I will now have to let them expire because I CANNOT login to Domains By Proxy to make my choice.

Since about 1/2 of these domains would be suitable for privacy, they will now lose my business and about $90 in lost revenue as a result.

Just wanted to share this with unsuspecting customers.

Oh yea, to stay on topic, I'm not sure whether my domains are NOW in "redemption" status. A supervisor at GoDaddy told me a domain goes into redemption status after ONLY FIFTEEN DAYS!! Silly me, I "thought" it was 30 days. That is how I found this forum. I did a search in Google for the GoDaddy redemption period to see if I could find out definitively... Heck, I STILL don't know... Oh well, I'll keep looking around...

Best Regards And God Bless...
    cobes

cobes, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  9. clubkitty

clubkitty Active Member

Best Answers:
    private regs always cause problems if you want to change registrars
    if you had a registrar that didn't jack up the renewals it would be great
    but that never happens
    INMHO its not worth it unless there a good reason to keep your identity secret
    if you think that having a private reg will stop a DMCA or C+D
    your wrong !
    they will just go to registrar and file legal paper and lock your whole account even though there is only one domain in dispute
    guess how I know?
    I don't bother with that anymore
    there going to find you anyway
    the one thing if you are public you get tons of spam emails that try to sell you domains like your current ones
    but that's not that bad because half of the spammers dont even bother regging them before they pitch them
    so in a couple of cases I got spams like "hello I see that you own localmortgage.net"
    would you be interested in localmortgage.com for the super discount price of 1500$?
    and then if you check you see that is a free reg because they don't want to buy it until the have it presold
    so in a way they do you a favor by letting you know about a better vs of what you got

clubkitty, Oct 26, 2014 IP
  10. Claviceps

Claviceps Member

Best Answers:
    It costs them about $95 + renew costs to redeem in redemption.

Claviceps, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  11. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The Redemption Period occurs approximately 30 days after a domain has reached its expiration date. For 30 days after the expiration date the domain will be available for renewal during a grace period. After the 30 day grace period, the domain will enter a hold period known as the Redemption Period for another 30 days. To recover the domain during the Redemption Period the registry requires a $150 USD fee.

HelenVendo, Feb 29, 2016 IP