1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reddit is FURIOUS Over the Banning of Popular Subreddit "Fat People Hate"

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by swakd, Jun 10, 2015.

Thousands and thousands of reddit users are absolutely enraged over CEO Ellen Pao's decision to ban several subreddits today, most notably /r/fatpeoplehate, the 13th most active community on the site before its removal. It had more than 100,000 subscribers.

[​IMG]

swakd, Jun 10, 2015 IP
  2. Emily Lynch

Emily Lynch Banned

Best Answers:
    just because there 100,000 subscribers doesn't meant that it's a good thing or a worthful topic to debate on. I think its the right decision to ban that Reddit.

Emily Lynch, Jun 23, 2015 IP
  3. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just becuase 1 dp member thinks it's the right decision doesn't make it more right.
    I think the net is based on popularity. (While you are right in that quantity doesn't produce morality) And since Reddit isn't in the business for charity reasons, I think this is just a way to attract more popularity. (Even unwanted one.)

I find it very hypocritical for a business to stop being what it was, becoming more and more controled.
    If it was the right decision to ban that topic, than why did they ever open it, and continue to host it for so many years?

SocialSignals, Jun 23, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. Kelly Richardson

Kelly Richardson Member

Best Answers:
    Why to ban a subreddit? Why to go against your own community? There is no sense in doing this. There must be something else to the reasoning. I would understand if they banned something immoral but to ban a reservation where people share negative expirience, relief their stress and so comes out renewed.
    Also it is kind of intollerant, why only fat were deleted? To compansate they should then ban subreddits about tall people, dissabled people and all others that are not normals in opinion of their CEO. And then reddit will downgrade to blog like digg.

Kelly Richardson, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  5. ScottE85

ScottE85 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This doesn't make sense because it's a thought based on feelings. Everybody has something they are offended by, but they don't have a right not to be offended. They have a right to not look or visit or watch what offends them. The CEO of Reddit has now set a precedent and he'll be forced to walk that line. Now that this has been banned, he'll be petitioned to ban something else. It's a never-ending cycle that will never end until everything is banned and nobody will be able to say anything.

ScottE85, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  6. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not the first time since reddit make choices over the way they are working and it did disapoint many people in the past, there are still there and no one will hear about it in a month or so

IG2010, Jul 5, 2015 IP
  7. BranTheMan

BranTheMan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't see the point in removing it... But most of the stuff that was posted there was pretty harsh though... I guess Reddit doesn't want to let something like that start to make a bad name for them.

BranTheMan, Jul 6, 2015 IP