1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recover molded HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aGnium, Nov 22, 2012.

Hi All,

I have a segate HDD on my old Dell desktop which I store in the garage for almost 5 years. The HDD is filled with white mold like substance attached to its surface including the PCB. What is the best way to clean/ repair the HDD? Awaiting to receive your wisdom...

aGnium, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  2. jaydeee

jaydeee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Guess that only thing you can do is to try clean it up and slave it on your computer and see what you get.

jaydeee, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Blow it off.
    Compressed air >>> DRIVE <<< Vacuum

Kerosene, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use a medium stiff brush on everything but the PCB. For that use a soft brush. Then blow it out with CANNED compressed air. (Don't use a compressor - most of them spit a fine mist of oil, and that will destroy the drive.)

Use alcohol after that. Don't worry about using too much. I soak PCBs in alcohol to clean them. (Just don't get any on anything BUT the PCB - you don't want any leaking into the "sealed" part of the drive.)

Rukbat, Nov 23, 2012 IP