1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recording Own Phone Call

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Nowler, Oct 2, 2017.

Hello,
    My question is in relation to Ireland.

My internet provider told me today that I was not allowed to record our conversation and that if I did, she would terminate the call.

I was under the impression that as long as one party in the conversation consents to being recorded then it was legal? As per some 1993 amendment or addition to the 1983 law on telecommunications?

Also, wouldn't the fact that I was told by them that the call was being recorded for training a record purposes kinda negate the need for me to even have to give consent to my own recording of it?

Thanks in advance

Nowler, Oct 2, 2017 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think Ireland is a two-party consent country.

The training messages warn you so you can hang up.

In some places you can tell the operator you don't want to be recorded, others say you give your consent by staying on the line.

pmf123, Oct 2, 2017 IP
  3. jetone

jetone Member

Best Answers:
    If you can keep a record of other communication channels like email and social media, why not a phone call?

jetone, Oct 2, 2017 IP
  4. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Different places, different rules - falls under wire tapping laws.

pmf123, Oct 3, 2017 IP
  5. Dynadot

Dynadot Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are in the United States, it depends on which state you are in. Like in California, I know that both parties need to know the call is being recorded. Further to that, if I live in Texas (which states only one person needs to know) but call California, California's law still applies. At least that is how I interpreted what I read a few years ago.

Dynadot, Oct 3, 2017 IP
  6. Nowler

Nowler Peon

Best Answers:
    When I asked the question here, I also asked citizensinformation.ie (ireland) and they said that I was in fact within my rights to record the conversation as long as 1 party consents.

Thanks for your input folks,
    I appreciate it.

Nowler, Oct 3, 2017 IP