1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recommended DB Software

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Bill Ebsary, Aug 25, 2015.

Hello,

I wasn’t sure if this was the best place to post this question, but any help is greatly appreciated!

I work for a large manufacturing company and for each of our products we publish an “Engineering Reference Sheet” that contains the technical data associated with each product (see http://www.hillphoenix.com/display-cases/engineering-reference/). These sheets are currently created with Indesign and the data is not housed in a database of any kind. This causes some problems as the data needs to be called upon by other programs.

I am hoping to find a software tool that can store all of this data in a database as well as be used to create pdf files that look like the reference sheets shown in the link above (sort of a combination of Access and Indesign). Does anyone know of such a tool, or could possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

Bill E.

Bill Ebsary, Aug 25, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A standard MySQL database will do the job admirably.

Your site is run by WordPress (and therefore has a MySQL database) so I think what you need is a custom plugin that captures each of the products and a link to the pdf (no point in generating that on the fly, but the one I opened could do with some design work). A plugin would output the screen you linked to and also give you an admin section for managing the list of products.

sarahk, Aug 25, 2015 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Basically just about ANY database program that will run in your environment will do the job for you. Like Sarah notes though, you already have most if not everything needed now.

mmerlinn, Sep 5, 2015 IP