1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recomended Books On Web Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Storm-Crow, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I need you guys to recommend some books which will help me build a good foundation on web designing principles. I'm familiar with photoshop so you can skip books which are oriented towards PS techniques. You help will be greatly appreciated :)

Storm-Crow, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  2. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    html for dummies? I think it's good for starting out.

I used online tutorials, they seem to be much better as it means you can do it at the same time as learning it.

twistedspikes, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  3. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS/Ian Lloyd. It's not design, per se, but if you learn from a design alone perspective, you'll code like Dreamweaver. Ew.

Stomme poes, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  4. Lethal7

Lethal7 Active Member

Best Answers:
  5. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    learn html is good start indeed.. learn the right way... W3Schools

bogs, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  6. webjames

webjames Peon

Best Answers:
    webjames, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  7. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lynda.com has some awesome books for pretty much everything you'll need. Think theres even Actionscript 3 books now.

twistedspikes, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  8. zcpro

zcpro Peon

Best Answers:
    "_____ for dummies" are great books for beginners

zcpro, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  9. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the books are actually worse than useless as far as HTML is concerned.

Then again, I'm far above the average coder.

I'm going to second Stomme's suggestion to pick up "Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS" by Ian Lloyd. It's available at SitePoint.com

You should also look into "Designing With Web Standards, 2nd Edition" by Jeffrey Zeldman, "Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition" by Steve Krug and "The Principles of Beautiful Web Design" by Jason Beaird.

If you want to learn JavaScript once you have a solid understanding of HTML and CSS, pick up "Learning JavaScript" by Shelly Powers.

Whatever you do, avoid the crutch that is a WISIWYG editor like Dreamweaver. The code it'll produce will lead you down the wrong path.

Download Internet Explorer, Firefox, K-Meleon, Opera and Safari to your computer. If you have IE 7 installed, get the IE 6 standalone. If you can't install IE 7, then grab the IE 7 standalone. The other browsers are available for Windows and are all free as well.

Dan Schulz, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  10. Storm-Crow

Storm-Crow Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys! You have all been of great help :)

Storm-Crow, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  11. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, one minor change to my post, SC. Download K-Meleon 1.0 instead of the latest build. That way you have a slightly older Gecko engine to test against. I strongly suggest using K-Meleon 1.0 alongside the latest Firefox stable download (currently 2.0.0.6 as of the time of this writing).

And when you install Safari from www.apple.com/safari don't let it install Bonjour or any of the other third party apps. Not even Quicktime. Just grab the browser itself (and save yourself the longer download, even on broadband connections).

Dan Schulz, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  12. cashinwebsites

cashinwebsites Peon

Best Answers:
    Books? Are you kidding me? I use videos only, these ones: http://educatedwebmaster.com - they cost less than $20.00 but I am more than sure you'd need to spend ober $200.00 if you would want to get books. Also, they are VERY helpful!

cashinwebsites, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  13. Minterest

Minterest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no need to buy a book all the resources are available for free on the net.. checkout http://www.w3schools.com/, about.com and others.. Google is the answer...

Minterest, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  14. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    cashinwebsites, ever hear of a public library?

And Minterest, Google doesn't always provide the most relevant (or accurate) results. Especially in cases like this. Take w3schools for instance. If Helen Keller were to come to me for a recommendation on where to learn how to build Web sites, I woudn't recommend it to her at all even if you paid me to do it because the site is so full of errors it's not even funny.

Dan Schulz, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  15. cashinwebsites

cashinwebsites Peon

Best Answers:
    Screw library, they do not have much good books and what I am trying to say is that video is more convenient for me. I have a ton of books collecting dust and I am simply using videos to save a lot of time. But that's me.

cashinwebsites, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  16. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    If your library's selection sucks that much, then I'd look into making an interlibrary loan request.

Dan Schulz, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  17. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I pray that you're joking, and pray that site is a joke because whoever coded that has ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what is going on in the web today. Morons like that web master are the ones who learned HTML back in 1998 and after a few years thought they didn't need to learn anymore. In their mind, they "mastered" HTML and didn't need to keep on learning. They never learned why CSS should be used for layout instead of tables, what the benefits of CSS are, probably use WYSIWYG editors that would explain the crappy ass markup on their site.. they have no clue about the W3C or the specs...

A real professional hand codes, anyone telling you they don't is not a professional.

I suggest you check out the Lynda.com videos, hell even the old ones from Lynda's husband are far, far better than this crap. You're better off gettin that Ian Lloyd book (although I hate Sitepoint books in general).

I hope in a few years sites like these die out.

soulscratch, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  18. foreststone

foreststone Peon

Best Answers:
    use DW and CSS is enough for HTML website

foreststone, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  19. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He asked for a book.

If one never reads a book or at least some (recent) articles or the html specs, one will be another one of those clueless coders who doesn't know WTF is going on and is stuck usin techniques from the 90s.

soulscratch, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  20. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Or ends up relying on the broken, buggy, bloated garbage spewed out by the WYSIWYG portions of Dreamweaver or other crap WYSIWYGS.

Then deal with asses like me responding to cries for help with "There is more to this page of 1997 than 2007 - my advice throw it all away, pitch Dreamweaver in the trash and learn to do it PROPERLY with a text editor and the actual browsers."

deathshadow, Sep 5, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.