1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reciprocal Links Option ... yes or no?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Blogmaster, May 23, 2007.

?

Should a web directory offer rediction for reciprocal links?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. depends on the directory (plz comment)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I wonder that myself sometimes

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yea definitely too much trouble to maintain and check up on the link
    with the amount of directories around offering one way links for free where you get to decide where the link is who needs recips..:)

discover, May 23, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  2. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To me, it depends on who you target at ;) If your directory is ranked well with "paid directory" in SEs for example, people should expect your directory is a paid directory naturally.

But if a directory ranks well with "reciprocal link directory", people will not be offended nor think it is "low" quality directory unless they have a wrong perspective to generalize "all" reciprocal link directories are low quality.

It's true that it is not easy to maintain as people don't link back to you from a decent page, as I often delete them, but there are cases that they don't mind placing a link from PR4, for example ;)

Here is another thing to think about this issue. While there are many people today that buying links in terms of SEO helps their websites rank high in G SERP or gain PR, there are even MORE people who don't know about the concept of buying links but know about link exchange.

It's not just they are "cheap" and don't want to pay for a link, but the old SEO trend is still strong enough to convince people, even today, that link exchange works. Well, if they want that kind of opportunities, why not providing it? I deal with this on a regular basis, and many are very happy to exchange links, but I take care of it in 3-way linking often. As for possible hurting to the rank in the G SERP, I have never had a problem with it ;)

But one thing is for sure. I don't expect a reciprocal link from other webmasters who know a lot about directories. So, for example, I don't think there are many DP directory owners who want to exchange links. It's obvious ;) That's why I dont' have that option in my other directories.

coolsitez, May 23, 2007 IP
  3. DotSauce

DotSauce Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had great success on reciprocal links from my MySpace Music profile directory... so there are some places it can be beneficial.

DotSauce, May 23, 2007 IP
  4. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like having the reciprocal link option on my dir, I have had a couple get confused and go for a featured with 5 deep links for $50 and then do the reciprocal as well, it's a nice touch when it happens, also I like to offer a cheaper $15 option for people with less budget.

Dave E, May 23, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck and compostannie like this.
  5. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you will hit a goldmine:D

I like to leave the reciprocal option as Free, this way I am not obligated to reciprocate unless it's an exchangeable site.

wwws, May 23, 2007 IP
    Agent47 likes this.
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I thought about that before as well. I just ignore those who submit without pay unless a recip happens, and if the site sucks, I get a free BL out of it. But still, I have yet to hit gold on anything reciprocal submitted to me. :p

Blogmaster, May 23, 2007 IP
  7. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments we concur, bummers want recip because they offer crap, known by words not printable here on a family friendly forum.

But for want of a better word
    They are usually Freeloaders:eek:

britishguy, May 23, 2007 IP
  8. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had the reciprocal link option removed from my directory submission page. I didn't want that option in the first place.

Agent47, May 23, 2007 IP
    hsaleem and saadahmed007 like this.
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I normally call 'em dead weight, but yours is a lot better :)

Blogmaster, May 23, 2007 IP
  10. soju

soju Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends of the directory. I think the low budget and free ones should. I don't think the premium directories should.

soju, May 23, 2007 IP
  11. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol..care to elaborate on that and why the low budget or free ones should and not a paid one?:)

Basically, what I understood is, Free and Low budget dir is of low quality?..What if the low budget was to raise it's price the same as a Premium directory, what does the low budget become now?....right, a Premium directory:rolleyes:

wwws, May 23, 2007 IP
  12. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Who the heck told you that????

Richie_Ni, May 23, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. For the most part yes you are correct, the editors could care less about making it the best it can be... hense just want to sell you a link nothing more
    as they are mostly to cheap to spend on their site and or business and for that matter invest money in link purchases to get it to a decent PR level to give thier customers a powerful link back...

2. Then it would become a High priced piece of shit with nothing of value to offer back.

PS i thought you were a reformed QBC kinda guy? what happen ya fall of the wagon?

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 23, 2007 IP
  14. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't place a Timex watch in a Gold plated jewelry box and call it a Rolex,

wwws, May 23, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well then stop trying :p

malcolm1, May 23, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. nukepuppy

nukepuppy Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm interesting opinions!

I have a PR5 Directory... with about 550ish links on it.. paid mostly... with over 500 listings should i just get rid of the recip option all together? and do occasional free listings on select forums? *cough* DP *cough*

well any feedbacks appreciated

nukepuppy, May 23, 2007 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that's true in many cases but to be fair there are submitters out there who reciprocate very generously only to be stiffed by the directory owner.

When available, I use reciprocal option to submit my sites (except for one) and I always put the link on a good page. I even take it a step further, I put the required link and add a second link to the category I submitted to so I can keep my link page on topic. This gives the directory 2 good links in exchange for one!

I won't list them all here, but as an example I put 2 reciprocal links to Free Link Submit Directory on this page for one of my sites, but I find that after a month or two there is still no listing, it hasn't been added or rejected. I wonder if this is another deadbeat directory, I run across a lot of them. I don't know who owns this directory, but they've had 2 free PR4 links from me and they don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge it with a listing or a rejection. :mad: This happens to me a lot, so I don't think the problem lies solely with submitters.

With directories using phpLD I haven't been able to figure out how to do a reciprocal link. The directories require a specific code to validate but the required code can't be used in another phpLD directory. I think that's a real shame. Does anyone know a way around this?

compostannie, May 23, 2007 IP
  18. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree with you on that it's both ways sometimes, but you very well know that a large percentage of the reciprocals are garbage. I ask myself why o they spend so much time placing all of those information when they know that the page they place your link to wont be accepted.

A good way to make a reciprocal page is simple creating a "resource" page, if place no more than 20 to 30 links within that page and just make a second page and also make sure to add the resource within the index.

Most of the reciprocal submitter page tend to hide the reciprocals from the main page, it's hidden, that is one of the first thing I check, and if I don't see it, I just don't do it.

wwws, May 24, 2007 IP
  19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just plain arrogant for you to tell me what I know, I already said what I know. My reciprocals are not garbage, did you bother to look at the example I provided?

I end up deleting at least 75% of the reciprocals I place because the directory owner in question neglects to follow up. I give them about 2 to 3 months. By the way, to be fair I used my crapiest site with the lowest PR as my example. If you check, you'll see there is a link to my links page on every page of my site, including the home page. Not exactly what I'd call hidden. Maybe you expect the links to blink or something to be more noticeable?

compostannie, May 24, 2007 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Dang, if your links are that good, I get you in my directories for free. :) (see here)

But seriously, the kind of directory owners who do that are the same kind of submitters using a crap page with 400 links on them. And there are far too many of them here on DP. No, maybe not in the regular world of webmasters, but definitely amongst those who frequent the directory section of internet marketing forums. Everytime I give a free offer, there is a handful of really good sites being submitted, followed by about 20 which make me feel completely disrespected looking at the lack of content and value. It wasn't like that 2 years ago here. These days you don't know who is who and there are too many who contribute absolutely nothing to this community than "Submitted a couple, rep added ... thanks!"

Blogmaster, May 24, 2007 IP