1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reasons for getting no ODP listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by euromickey, Jul 17, 2005.

Okay I have posted this previously at SEOChat but seemingly can't find an answer.

It's been 16 months I have submitted Watchband.biz, the English version of my bilingual site Watchband.de (which is already listed in the World directory), to the proper category of the DMOZ directory. I have re-launched this web site on July 9, 2005 with fresh content and feel it's now highly competitive. Even without any listing in the ODP directory it ranks well in Google, Yahoo and MSN - should I say thanks to the COOP.

The day after I re-launched, on July 10, 2005, a DMOZ editor has updated my category but has not yet listed the re-designed site. I have come to the conclusion my english site is having serious problems in getting listed. I just can't figure the reason (should not be COOP links!?). There is no alternative category for submitting.

What strategy is best? Re-submit with improved site info, submit to a different but unproper category, or just wait one more year?

euromickey, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    * Wait one... two... five... ten years.. who knows?
    * Apply to be an editor, if you get accepted you can list ALL your sites and wipe out your competitors
    * Offer some cash to an editor and you will be listed in 5 minutes...

fryman, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  3. euromickey

euromickey Peon

Best Answers:
    * In one year the DMOZ is gone... who knows?
    * Being German I don't think it'll be easy to apply to be an editor in the English part of the directory
    * Offer some cash - can you give me some e-mail addresses? :eek: :D

euromickey, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Just forget about it... once you submit there is really nothing you can do, those lazy bums don't even bother to reply in their forum anymore, so all you can do is wait.

DMOZ is pure hype, it really doesn't help much, just keep working on your site and getting good backlinks.

fryman, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  5. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best strategy when it comes to DMOZ is just to submit and hope against hope that you're lucky enough to be trying for one of the categories where the editor isn't corrupt/lazy/inactive. Then move on and concentrate on promoting your site elsewhere in places that are actually likely to list you.

Amusingly, I had more success with applying to become an editor than I ever did with submitting my sites. :)

pwaring, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  6. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Like fryman says, submit your site, forget about it, and do some constructive link building instead.

egdcltd, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  7. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz might have some weight but it is now ridiculously super difficult to get into dmoz. just wait, and pray and err. maybe bribe the editor like fryman said.

There is a dmoz support forum at http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/ for webmasters but don't bother asking question there unless you want to be flamed by those editors. Read the posts and most likely you'll see your blood pressure rising in minutes. Heck! i'm even ashamed of posting that link here.

you're already getting good SERPS. So, just forget about that stupid directory.

p/s they should get rid of that support forum. with all those snobbish editors answering your questions, the forum only successsfully make ppl hate them more.

iskandar, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    They already did, editors are no longer posting at the resource zone

fryman, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  9. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they should just get rid of the forum from the web. it's a waste of time ..

iskandar, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I guess they like to laugh at the people that post there...

fryman, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  11. euromickey

euromickey Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys!

euromickey, Jul 18, 2005 IP