1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Really simple tips for enthusiastic Twitter members

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by palmfanatic, Sep 11, 2015.

I debated with myself whether or not to post this topic .
    I don't want to be offensive to people but in my experience on Twitter it seems that many people are making this simple mistake , spending hours and hours trying to grow their business and quite probably destroying any chance of growth in the process .

So anyone who knows me or who has spoken with me ( I am a real person I always respond ;) ) will know that I am a serious advocate of building a relationship .
    Business is built on relationships , earning respect and trust and delivering more value that the customer ever imagined .

Once you have wowed the customer and built that relationship then the future has no limits.

What destroys me and the first thing I teach people in regards to Twitter is not to instantly spam people as soon as they follow you.
    To me this is common sense , but when I follow people I would estimate at least forty percent of people immediately hit me up with a dm with a link to their business .
    Guys this isn't going to work and quite simply rather than encourage me to engage it's more likely to earn you an instant unfollow.
    Can you imagine if you met someone in real life and the first they they said was come join my business .
    You don't even know if I am into weight loss ( maybe I should be lol ) but that's not the point .

You are ramming your product down people's throats who may not even be interested .

It may take a little longer to grow your business but I would also guess that the people who recruit like that will actually never train you properly , never help you to grow your business and then will wonder why they have such a huge churn rate .
    Recruit the right people in the right way at the right time and you will grow your business exponentially .
    You can't recruit anyone until you know them .
    This may be a stupid analogy but if you owned a little shop would you invite a thief in to join your business the first time you met them .

Somehow I doubt that very much , so treat Twitter the same way.
    Consider who you want as a followe , consider who you want o follow and build a relationship with them first and foremost

Best wishes
    Peter

palmfanatic, Sep 11, 2015 IP
    sarahk and Karen May Jones like this.
  2. jryan89

jryan89 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great info. However, much of the time the DM that you received is automatically sent out via an app such as crowdfire, etc. However, when using this, I think it is advisable to thank the person and ask if they have a specific interest in your subject area. I have never once wanted to unfollow someone who did this and if the person responds to them, then they will have a warm lead. It's a win/win IMO.

jryan89, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  3. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have instantly unfollowed when force fed. Op has nailed it. I like your idea as well, making the first greeting about the receiver.

Karen May Jones, Sep 15, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. FelixFuturi

FelixFuturi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Gotta say, this is a man after my own (online) heart. Shoving things down people's throats just comes across as desperate. I'm pretty active on most of the networks but LinkedIn is getting to be the worst (sorry I know this is about twitter but I had to mention it anyway). When someone sends me a sales pitch out of the blue, it's simply spam in my mind.

Marketers need to realize that people, the market, the audience, are all sick n tired of spammy tactics, and it just won't work any more. The internet for the longest time has been about "numbers", leverage and automation. Things are changing, you need to be more socially aware - just the same as you would be in a face to face engagement.

If you treat people as similar as possible as you would meeting them face to face, I think you can avoid any of the negative outcomes associated with being an over-aggressive marketer. That's just the start though, each community and network also has more specific netiquette that needs to be learned as soon as possible.

FelixFuturi, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  5. B3cky

B3cky Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    These are great tips, some people approach Twitter in the wrong way. I unfollow annoying marketers and people who send automatic DM's. Twitter should be much more personal than that and you need to become an active member of the community to be taken seriously.

B3cky, Sep 18, 2015 IP