1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Really odd, AdSense not displaying on page due to file name

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Reldin, Mar 29, 2008.

Hello all, I've got a question regarding one of my web pages that AdSense has failed to provide ads to for over a month. It's the only page on my site where this happens, out of thousands of pages. It's a full content page with plenty of text to target, yet all 3 AdSense ads come up PSA.

Today I decided I'd figure out what was causing it by removing random bits from the page until I got working ads, so I made a copy of the page to prevent visitors from seeing my testing, and uploaded it. To my surprise, that fixed it! All I did was change the name from "art_assassins-creed_a.html" to "art_assassins-creed_aa.html"

I'm certain it's the filename causing it. I've tried replacing 100% of the page content with the content from another working page, and ads still fail to show. I've tried Google's section targeting code and still no joy. What's even weirder is that if I move the page to another directory, then I get ads.

Now you might be wondering why I'm bringing this up if I've already found a fix. Well first I'd like to keep the old filename as it already has backlinks, but I'd also like to know why adding one more "a" to the filename or moving the page to another directory fixes this. The mystery of it is eating away at me. I've never had this issue on any other page. Any ideas? I'm really bewildered. :confused:

Reldin, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  2. SmallPotatoes

SmallPotatoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps one they crawl the page at the new address it will switch to PSAs too.

i.e., I would still tend to suspect the content.

SmallPotatoes, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  3. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly what SmallPotatoes said.

Ads are obviously not showing up for a reason. I see the word "assassins" in the file name. I'm not sure what the content is, but...

Definitions of assassin on the Web:

a murderer (especially one who kills a prominent political figure) who kills by a treacherous surprise attack and often is hired to do the deed ...

That could be the problem...

Fka200, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  4. Reldin

Reldin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm doubtful "assassin" is the reason... It's just a harmless page about the PS3 / Xbox 360 video game Assassin's Creed. Out of curiosity, I just pulled up a few random fan sites on Google for the game, and they have "assassin" in the page name and AdSense ads all over their pages featuring Assassin's Creed.

You make a good point though that ads might disappear once a renamed page is crawled, I'd have to agree it's something in the content then. The name of the player in the game is Altaïr, maybe the "ï" is making Google think it's a nonEnglish page? I guess more testing is in order.

Reldin, Mar 29, 2008 IP