1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Realistic Budget for Business Website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Kickskings, Dec 24, 2016.

Hey Guys,

What is a realistic budget I should be prepared to pay for building a website that looks and feels like the following:

https://kithnyc.com/
    http://shop.extrabutterny.com/
    https://shop.bdgastore.com/

Kickskings, Dec 24, 2016 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It sort of depends on how many products you have. Its a bit quicker to do that sort of thing in wordpress. I typically churn that sort of thing out for about 500 but again, it depends on the # of products and a few other things.

hope that helps. I would also probably avoid rolling in the direction of link 3. That is a convoluted mess.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Dec 24, 2016 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget that the client side development and design is trivial compared to the maintenance costs. For a commercial site, expect maintenance to cost from 100 - 200% of the development costs per annum. Looking at your first link, the design is simple, but consider those "out of stock" notices. How are they derived and added to the page? Best is for the sales to integrate with the warehouse inventory, which must integrate buying and shipping and receiving. That gets into inventory accounting methods for costing and pricing, e.g. lifo, fifo. And don't forget warehouse inventory audits.

It is a Good Thing for the purchase to generate invoices and shipping orders, too, and tie into your accounting software.

You still need a metaphorical janitor to mop and polish the floors every night, then take out the trash.

Things that make you say hmmm.

gary

kk5st, Dec 24, 2016 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As noted above, #3 is a convoluted MESS. First impressions count, and my first impression is to run away as fast as I can.

The other two are slower than molasses. Both took over 60 seconds to load the landing page using a 100mbs cable connection. Anything over 10 seconds will cause the majority of your potential customers to leave and never return.

mmerlinn, Dec 25, 2016 IP
  5. Susan Bene

Susan Bene Peon

Best Answers:

I agree with Merlin. Way to slow to load. You'll lose a lot of customers. You should use WordPresss to create to help speed.

Susan Bene, Dec 25, 2016 IP
  6. Susan Bene

Susan Bene Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Merlin. Way to slow to load. You'll lose a lot of customers. You should use WordPresss to create to help speed.

Susan Bene, Dec 25, 2016 IP
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    All three are laundry lists of how NOT to build a website, how to tell visitors to go **** off, and in general reeks of arsty fartsy BS that's more likely to be a money pit than a legitimate sales site.

If someone spent money on those, well... P.T. Barnum was right.

deathshadow, Dec 27, 2016 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While I do agree that they're awful, the loading time really isn't that bad. About 5-10 seconds for all of the links. Yes, yes, I know, I have nice, 100Mbps line, and decent latency (about 5ms on average). Still... depends a bit on what market they have - if their market is mainly people in countries where the quality of the Internet connections matches mine, the size and loading times aren't an issue. If they're using the world as a market, it becomes ultimately more important to lower size and increase speed.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 27, 2016 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    aka magical fairy tale land... since 200ms is the 'real world' average on just about everything; It should be effectively impossible REGARDLESS of your connection to have 5ms latency on ANYTHING since the SWITCHES aren't even capable of that.

I think you're measuring without flushing cache or something. I know you live in a noodle-doodle fantasy most of the industrialized world can only dream of, but 5ms? BULLSHIT. The hardware CAN'T DO THAT. **** sake I get 35ms on my LAN with 1gbps. My nice little router introduces more overhead than that!

Hell, that first page I'm seeing two seconds of delay here before it even starts transferring data from ANY file! What with its "*** users up the ***" attitude and 95 second page load time, 90%+ of which is handshaking due to the ridiculously absurd number of separate files. A problem that plagues all three of those DISASTERS.

Of course that such bloated ignorant dumbass piles of ineptitude are also a giant middle finger to hosting costs SHOULD they JOE FORBID ever actually have real traffic (again, yeah right!) likely doesn't help their owners one blasted bit either.

deathshadow, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  10. kennedygitahi

kennedygitahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A good eCommerce website, built from the ground up with all the bells and whistles of a fast loading site, should come to between USD750 and USD2000 depending on who you hire. Remember this does not include the cost of hosting whose price would vary depending on where you wish to host.

For God's sake, get a developer who knows how to write code or a proven wordpress theme and stay away from shared hosting once your site starts getting any inkling of decent traffic.

kennedygitahi, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  11. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I didn't mean 5ms as a latency against the hosts mentioned here. And of course it was a bit embellished ;)

But, for the sites mentioned here, I average a ping of about 100-115ms.

And no, what I measured was the first visit to the pages I've ever done. Never visited them before I saw this thread, and did a measure on the first visit.
    Well... if you have 35 ms on a Gbit LAN, you need a new router. Or a proper switch for the internal hookups :D And by proper, I mean a Cisco or at least a HP or Dell data-warehouse quality setup :D

PoPSiCLe, Dec 30, 2016 IP