1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Real time stats vs. logs batched later

Discussion in 'Programming' started by tbarr60, Dec 5, 2005.

In the applications that I build, I've always normalized the database tables and then wrote reporting or stats data to the database. By normalizing, I minimize the processing time for recording stats so the application isn't bogged down.

I am running into more and more on line applications where they are using log files for stats and processing them 24-48 hours later. This is typically affiliate, advertising, and analytic applications. I've seen this from Google on down.

Is there that big of an advantage to writing to log files and batch processing stats? I have a hard time imagining that big of an advantage that it would offset the diminished user experience.

tbarr60, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  2. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A couple ideas:

1. Log files are cheap in CPU time and simple to write to disk.

2. The log file method allows the batch process to easily process multiple log sources(think Google's 10000+ computers, all with theoretically, they're own logfile)

3. Portability. A log file is readable on its own, and can be imported into multiple systems and analyzed in different ways.

Basically, I think the benefit of one over the other is dependent on the overall system architecture...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Dec 5, 2005 IP