1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Read This Before Replying to Posts in This Section!

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by yfs1, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charisse V

Charisse V Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel really foolish. I don't have the best eyesight, and received an infraction for posting in the wrong thread- but here's the kicker- I never noticed the "subforums" posted at the top...and the whole time I have been a member here..lol..I never once scrolled down to read any threads..I didn't even know they were there...
    Honestly, I looked for the best place to put my post, but didn't see it...
    I really only see the super bold print that jumps off at me.
    Now, I will have to go back and scrolld down to the bottom of all the different topics, because I had no idea I was only reading the "subforums"

Good grief...I will go back to lurking, but I think it may take me about a year to actually read through the entire DP site, and figure out what I am supposed to be doing...especially since it took a year for me to realize the main forums are down at the bottom of the page...lol

Charisse V, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  2. Jsny

Jsny Active Member

Best Answers:
    I should have read this thread a long time ago, just never had the time. Sorry, I've "sinned" many times!! Is there no way you could make this thread stand out more, or maybe make it a must read before you can post?

Jsny, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. jmansel

jmansel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got an infraction for replying to a similar request. These request seems to imply that you need to post the url in the forums to enable the submission process to be completed. Perhaps some rule for directory owners to state that such posts are not allowed.

I know now that I should pm my url, and will do so in the future, but it can be misleading to the noobs who are just responding to the instructions laid out in the directory owners post. Also have you considered a mod posting in the thread itself stating that the post is against the rules and a link to the rules section. It would be easier for people who initially lurk a forum to quickly understand the rules and regulations. After all it is far better to educate people than to punish.

jmansel, Aug 8, 2007 IP
  4. coldgansta

coldgansta Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been guilty of this type of reply to posts.
    But in the future i will make my replys worthy even as to go as far as to write a lil review about the directory ive just submited to instead of saying somet like(submited thanks)I love dp and would not want to get a ban here,dp is a great sorce of knowlage and Resource just the other day some1 helped me with a php isue for free and thats what is great about this forum great members pluss a great source of traffic.

This type of posts are a waste of time and when you see about 10 of these in the same thread its not worth reading,i did not even know that you could subscribe to a thread and will be using this tool alot now.

I apologize to mods and all members IF i have left this type of post in your threads its Ignorance on my part.

Thanks for wake up call

coldgansta, Aug 12, 2007 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  5. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information

dougadam, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  6. Brilliances

Brilliances Active Member

Best Answers:
    I completely disagree with this but do what you must...

Brilliances, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  7. Gritz

Gritz Peon

Best Answers:
    I like how your site is laying down the law. Everything looks good and I appreciate the heads up.

Gritz, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  8. zedomax

zedomax Peon

Best Answers:
    Not trying to be a dick or anything but you are really bringing down the whole conversation, maybe it's better if you guys can just moderate more often...

well...that's my 2 cents...no offense.

zedomax, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  9. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i'm coming in a little late here, but i agree with a lot of those who oppose this for the stated reasons, and i have a suggestion: what if you have shawn add a little snippet of code, so that posts in the introduction and directories forums don't increment a user's post count?

that way, those posting just to up their post count will lose incentive. kinda like wikipedia did no-follows to cut down on external link spam.

monosodium, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  10. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No need to do that even, I think VB has that feature built in as standard and he should fairly easily be able to change the settings so announcement posts dont run up post count, but I think this is a good idea and would help stop at least some of these useless threads.

However with so many people doing these sort of posts other members, especially newer ones just follow like sheep and post "thanks submitted 4" etc etc without even reading the rules, so should we report every one of these posts? there are so many.

Electric-Shadow, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  11. nickspain

nickspain Guest

Best Answers:
    i agree <i Mean i am new here and have probebly done the same short reply without realizing it , but just yesterday i saw a post form this guy saying he had got his points up to 2000, and someone replyed to him that he hoped to do the same in about a week,
    well whats the point if you want to have your post read surly it should be more than three words .
    sorry about the bad smelling (spelling)
    Nick

nickspain, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  12. Electric-Shadow

Electric-Shadow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    2k in a week? that i very much doubt, id like to see how he does it lol

Electric-Shadow, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  13. thunderbolt007

thunderbolt007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed also that there are lots of directories coming up. Free for reciprocal links and with payment on the regular one.

thunderbolt007, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  14. Breakaway11

Breakaway11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People are still posting to let the webmaster know that they submitted and they insert their link for more advertisement. Please start cracking down on this. I just joined, read this sticky right away, went to the first directory in this forum category, and it's flooded with "Thanks! I submitted www.mysite.com" etc.

I hope this rule is in effect, because all of these posts make my error post be on page 3, instead of near the top.

Breakaway11, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  15. SticKer

SticKer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen some of the directory owners when they start a new post saying free regular links for 48hrs or so on they ask to post your url so that they know the submissions are from dp. So in this case do we have to reply with the url or just submit the site and forget it.

SticKer, Mar 3, 2008 IP
  16. anandsoft

anandsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    There are lot of directories that have pr on the home page, and no pr on internal pages. They advertise their directories offering free submissions, and post submission url. Is that ok to include the url in the post?

anandsoft, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  17. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    Would it be possible to start a forum within this forum for people who post relevant, reasoned responses and start similar threads?

Also, to tell the truth from my non-techi perspective, I just thought the posters of "thx", "great site" responses were a little weird - sitting in front of their computers, clicking and typing abbreviations as though they've St Vitas's dance, I felt quite sorry for them - but they've some kind of master plan! Just shows I've lots to learn, including lots of tips and knowledge available in this forum, among the pap.

1associate, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  18. leti25

leti25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks sorry i wass put 2 address in 1 post :) .

leti25, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  19. The Club Crawler

The Club Crawler Peon

Best Answers:
    oops I should have read this first, my bad, was a little tired and such, will not post a submitted my site reply again.
    The rule makes perfect sense, in hindsight unfortunately.

The Club Crawler, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  20. atlas812

atlas812 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason why I comment on the solicitation forum is because this is how I keep track of which directory I submitted to already. When you comment on the thread, you get a little green check which is a world of help when you're always submitting to new directories.

I received the "Post Count" warning this morning, and I understand the issue, but is there any other way that I can distinguish which threads I've looked at and which I haven't? Does anybody else have this same issue, or have they found a way to solve this problem?

atlas812, Apr 15, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.