1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Read about "Team ODP"

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Anonymously, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    No need to shout to be heard. As previously explained, I am on earth.

Some webmasters are content creators. Others create containers for content creators to fill [the webmasters of DigitalPoint would be one example of that]. Others create MFA websites and other earth-bound constructions that are of no interest to DMOZ.

DMOZ is focused on the needs of web surfers that can be addressed by the material supplied by original content creators. Webmasters are a middleman step between the two.

To the extent that webmasters help DMOZ connect web surfers with original content creators they (webmasters) are helpful to the goals of DMOZ.

It's as simple as that. A helpful intermediary. Not the primary focus.

dharmarucci, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, I'm webmaster and original content creator do I get some prize now? :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  3. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    So, I'm now an ex-editor as of today, and I'm free to say whatever I want to say. Everything I said in here as an editor was the absolute truth, there's really nothing I would change.

I got a little depressed this morning when I saw some moron slip into our ranks as an editor, and after doing 15 edits, all of which were to add his own spammy deeplinks and mirrors (and subsequently deleted by another editor), ask what was the purpose of becoming an editor if he couldn't add his crap to the Directory.

Good grief, I am so sick of seeing that kind of attitude on outside forums, and then to have one of these selfish morons slip in was just disgusting. The bright side is that he was caught so soon.

In any case, that and some of the attitudes I've seen in here, made me ask myself why the heck am I wasting my time as an editor for people who are all out for themselves and can do nothing but bitch and complain about the Directory and it's editors, instead of appreciating the free time they spend doing it.

I couldn't really come up with a good answer any more. I've lost my enthusiasm.

Power trip? I own a small business, that's all the power trip I need. Kissing ass? For what? There's nothing that I wanted. Meta privleges? You gotta be kiddin. Some of you might think that's a big ass deal, but, I'm not one of them. It's a long, hard road with a lot of work and responsibility at the end of it. Every time you speak, you better be pretty damn sure that what you're saying or the decisions you make are correct.

I'm free to say whatever I want, so I'll say this about them. I suspect half of them hated my guts because I'm not always tactful, and I talk a lot, and the rest of them mostly tolerated me, with a few even liking me.

I'll also say this about them. They are some of the finest, most honorable, and most knowledgeable people I've ever worked with. Despite all the nasty things said about them, none of it is true. I knew many of them before they were metas, and they are the best of the best.

The editing community as a whole, are honest, passionate, caring people from all over the world who do their best to do things right, but who have a terribly large task to achieve. I'm ashamed and hurt to see any of you speak ill of them for giving their time and efforts freely. It's a terrible misjustice to them.

crowbar, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  4. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Frankly I have had a similar conversation(s) with myself often. I reach the same conclusion every time, I do it because I enjoy it. Not to please anyone and certainly for receiving appreciation from anyone. Sometimes I have found it best to to just take a break, sometimes for a month or longer to refresh.

In any regards, enjoy your break and best wishes for the new year.

shadow575, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  5. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    i am shocked .... :(

websys, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    So now you have become a deserter! :D

And people accused me of COI for adding two content rich deeplinks amongst 246 unique adds. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often since many new editors are probably nothing more then spammers, DMOZ is paying the price for its organizational and PR (public relations not page rank) faults.

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Geez I thought you were shot. But meanwhile to ease the tension before going back, watch TV at TNT We Know Drama. You'll be back in no time. :D
    Huh ! Your Resource Zone trained. Its much sicker there. :D

popotalk, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah hell, you were free to before, too, just more likely to get griped at about it. LOL. Hey, everyone deserves a break, even jarheads. Just leave the standard trail of breadcrumbs, you know the drill. :)

robjones, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That its not a lot from the rubish you suggest about how editors should be responsible. And that you obviously were not too responsible or you would still be an editor.:rolleyes:

Anonymously, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bwahahaha. Look at how pathetic and rubbish you are.
    1. You were once anonymous.
    2. Religious reverend ? You should do better.
    3. Work ethics of a reverend ? Devil in disguise.
    4. Unbecoming an English gent.
    5. Always attacking personally not generally.
    :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    At least i am an editor, which is more than you.

Anonymously, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll rather not be. That's where pedophiles grow and pretending to be religious to attract. Pathetic that you preach but don't practice. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  13. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    exactly my point, crowbar, you are the typical dmoz editor :rolleyes:

ignoring the problem like that won't make it go away... if the dmoz keeps refusing to change(see crowbar comments above), it will never improve.

to repeat, there is no rule that specifically prevents editor re-applications and site re-applications from being reviewed by the same people who rejected 'em in the first place... so there is little to mitigate the potential for bribes.

do you really think that editors like crowbar have the best interest of the dmoz in mind? good grief, i hope not... if the dmoz can't get rid of the losers, at least make an effort to manage 'em :rolleyes:

with that kind of an editor attitude, is it any wonder that the dmoz is the most hated directory on the internet? why aren't there any minimum requirements to look at the suggested pools?

as i pointed out earlier, the dmoz editors haven't really touched the category and sub-category that i applied to in years... while i appreciate your insight into the inner workings of the dmoz, you aren't getting the message that your present policies and procedures are a failure.

since you and crowbar clearly don't agree that editors are held to certain standards, one of you is wrong.

danimal, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  14. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    that is good news for the dmoz!

first you bitch that a new editor was a spammer, then you turn right around and tell us that the pond scum was removed in a timely manner, but you nevertheless had to whine your sorry ass off about it... pathetic.

not a personal attack, but are you, like, 80 years old? because you are so completely out of touch with reality, just like so many of your dmoz cohorts.

i bet that you can't prove that webmasters are not content creators.

but thanks for proving once again to us that the dmoz hates webmasters.

danimal, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  15. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    Ageism is a prejudice that affects everyone, though especially the espouser.

Wikipedia has this to say about webmasters (I've bolded the key phrase for this context):

Core responsibilities of the webmaster include the regulation and management of access rights of different users of a web site, the appearance and setting up web site navigation. Content placement can be part of a webmaster's responsibilities, while content creation is typically not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmaster

Please show me how you derive the word "hate" from my previous posts.

dharmarucci, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  16. ThaiHF

ThaiHF Peon

Best Answers:
    Since DMOZ become popular for web directory listing

"Writing outside approved guidelines seems to not be very annoying for DMOZ team"

I think it will make DMOZ team be easier to work. Otherwise how can you indicate your standard
    call "Useful"

ThaiHF, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is Orlady and the other DMOZ editors content context. That is very smart move doing work in Wiki while DMOZ still has lots of things to do. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Because in some categories most of those suggestions are spam and mirrors and affiliates. And remember they are suggestions, we trust the editor to know what is best in a category that s/he has been given responsibility for, not someone who desperately wants to get their web pages seen.

Oh and your reasoning that it is. While people come on here desperate to get into the directory, I would have thought that said it was a success. But I think it is, I collect websites and organize them into categories that a surfer can use to find the information they feel they want. ODP does that and it does it within its own guidelines. And if its such a dismal failure why are you wasting your time commenting so? And if it is ti improve it, you will never do that from outside, so go inside and start your own.

You ommitted the words you were using to try and prove your case. Both well know there are standards and the editor that Crowbar refered to found that out. And many ex-editors on here did too.

Anonymously, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah right. Advices coming from pretentious people. Is this what you do with preaching the teachings of the church too ? Hatred and Lying. Amazing. ;)

popotalk, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You mean there are double standards.

Skrenta can have 10K plus listings, but another editor can not have 15.

Qryztufre, Jan 5, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.