1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Re-read .ini files in shared hosting (limited) environment

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Daddy-ough, Jun 7, 2021.

How do I force the system to re-read an ini to apply the change?

My site is remotely hosted through cPanel. It is a shared resources configuration and I don't have root privilege. I do have considerable rights but not all the way down to the level of Apache administration (for instance.)

In this shared hosting environment the subscribers don't have access to su, sudo, service, apache2, apache2ctl

These PHP family tools/commands are available with at least --x--x--x privilege:
    lsphp, lsphp.cagefs, pear, peardev, pecl, phar.phar, php, php-cgi, php-cgi.cagefs, php-config, php.cagefs, phpize

cPanel provides these gui tools (forgive any overlap with above)
    (I understand they don't necessarily apply to PHP administration)
    phpMyAdmin
    phpPgAdmin
    PHP Pear Packages
    MultiPHPManager
    MultiPHP INI Editor

terminal (RHE BASH)
    a GUI file manager with an editor

Background and impetus:
    I'm testing a music hosting package, but for the context of this question I want to remain more general. The name is below.

I'm new at PHP but I have a few years experience as a sysadmin for other systems. That said the PHP ini files used in the music system appear to be rather straightforward and well commented.

I'd like to un-comment a line to see the affect. (no problem, I've got the rights and understand the responsibility)

Server Details:
    The music server is named "Ampache" - with an "m"

Daddy-ough, Jun 7, 2021 IP
  2. Efetobor Agbontaen

Efetobor Agbontaen Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I understand correctly, you have a movie package/script. It has some php.ini files?

If yes, then I don't think they will be useful. PHP has to be configured to look for .ini files in this movie package directory.

In a Shared Hosting environment, you don't really have the luxury of doing that. But you can use the
    MultiPHP INI Editor tool in cPanel to add or remove whatever feature you have in the custom PHP.ini files

Efetobor Agbontaen, Jun 8, 2021 IP