1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Re: Online payment options......

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by NewComputer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    You don't have an option to get a signature with Paypal or Ikobo. Even with a merchant account, with online sales it's nearly impossible to get a signature.

ViciousSummer, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Not really.. Are you shipping merchandise to them? Make them sign for it. If you send it USPS, UPS, FedEX, whatever, have them sign to confirm receipt. That signature is the same as if they signed a CC receipt in the eyes of any merchant, including paypal.

I won't ship anything tangible to another carbon based life form without a signed confirmation of receipt.

Mia, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  3. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a big problem with paypal: fraudulent chargebacks. I think there was also an investigation by the FBI in this matter. Maybe that's still going on, I'm not sure.
    As for a service to transfer money to the Ukraine, I'd say ikobo since it works quite nicely for me and I'm pretty close to the Ukraine (geographically speaking). If you were to trust what's being advertised on ikobo's website, I suppose ikobo would work for the whole world, or almost. Maybe you should give it a try to see if it really is like this... ;)

daemeh, Jan 24, 2005 IP
    gchaney likes this.
  4. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard that too. About the FBI investigation that is. Regarding the matter of sending money to Ukraine, I think ikobo is the winner here. I don't think that you will find anything cheaper than that.
    Why do you say that? I am really interested ... Thanks.

SoniaJr, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  5. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I use paypal only.. e-gold is the oddest online payment I've came across, and its generaly used tons by the scam artists and shady people. And most of the other decent ones aren't very widely used.

I think Paypal is the standard right now.

Josh

Josh, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  6. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    It could be Josh, only if you live in one of those very limited list of countries covered by paypal. Unfortunately, this is not my case and I am sure that many others are in my shoes. So, taking this issue into consideration, I think that ikobo, worldpay or 2co are offering us the chance to develop our own online business without needing to wait for paypal to cover our home countries and I really appreciate that. :D

SoniaJr, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  7. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, unfortunately that's the cold hard truth... Paypal's lack of coverage drives many of us to alternative services. The interesting thing is that, although not enjoying paypal's popularity, they still provide pretty good services. Some of them even have even lower fees than paypal - ikobo for example, while offering far better coverage. For now at least, I'm not that anxious to use paypal.

daemeh, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  8. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    ikobo has similar fees to paypal but paypal has the popularity and ikobo has the coverage and the ikard system. Time will tell which one is the best.

SoniaJr, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  9. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose that for those within paypal's coverage, this will be their choice... although I've heard of quite a few people who wanted to move away from paypal to alternative services such as 2checkout, ikobo and so on. For the rest of us, I think ikobo is among the best choice we could make. This is me of course, someone else may think differently.

daemeh, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  10. Doughty

Doughty Peon

Best Answers:
    After taking more than a week to do serious research on the right companies to process credit card payments, I was quite disappointed with the outcome. As most of them don’t cover the countries I am interested in. And if they do, their fees are too high for me.
    And as to paypal I just cannot say anything, as I never used it because of its poor coverage.

Doughty, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  11. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, so you've done your homework... What did you eventually decide? What is your conclusion after all this research? Wanna share with he rest of the class, please?
    Do you have something in particular you like, or you're just going to give up this whole business because you can't find the right processor?

daemeh, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  12. Doughty

Doughty Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all I think that it's just impossible to find something perfect :p
    In my opinion the most popular companies with a wide coverage are 2checkout, ikobo, moneybookers and worldpay.
    All of them have their pros and cons.
    Some people like worldpay – but I think their fees are very high.
    2checkout is new but also rather popular company. However I read a lot of horror stories about it. Well, sure I understand that the more popular company is, the more bad feedback one can hear. But they have a set up fee, and if something goes wrong, $49 will be lost. But again, many people are satisfied with this company.
    As to moneybookers and ikobo I read different reviews about them… but I suppose that ikobo is the best choice for the beginners and small vendors who are interested mostly in a wide coverage and low fees.

Doughty, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Doughty, daemeh, SoniaJr -

Thank you for providing such entertaining threads. I don't know if you are all the same person but it still cracks me up.

Every payment thread is dominated by this same conversation that just goes around in circles and each and every time it turns into a "ikibo is just the best" post.

I love the - I am going to go out and research it - then posting the next day that ikibo is the winner after having already posted all the pros and cons (cons of others and pros of ikibo) of the major providers a few days earlier in another thread.

Truly classic stuff and I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your payment threads :D

Keep pluggin along!

yfs1, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  14. Doughty

Doughty Peon

Best Answers:
    :)
    If you know a payment processor that works in Central and Eastern Europe (covers Poland, Ukraine, Russia), has low fees – you’re welcome with your suggestions.
    Because as for now ikobo really seems to be the only option. So no wonder that I am interested in it :)

Doughty, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  15. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    No need to get irritated. The idea is that for eastern Europe in general (Romania in particular) ikobo is the only processor that actually works and you can actually withdraw your money. That's why I am talking about it, it may not be great, it may not be the best, but for me it's my only option and it's ok.

daemeh, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  16. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes Doughty ... everyone it's entitled to an opinion. We can continue to help each other here regardless of what other say or do about it.
    If you want, you can subscribe to an ikobo mailing list on Google groups. You can find it by doing a Google search or just go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/iKobo. It could be useful for any ikobo user.

SoniaJr, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  17. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, pretty much so. I'll go check that google group because who knows, maybe we'll get kicked out or something for discussing the things we're interested in. Anyway, enough about this, let's discuss something else. Anymore updates on any of your ikobo situations? :D

daemeh, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  18. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think you will get kicked here - this is one of the least censored forums I have seen. That's why there is so great atmosphere I think (at least that's my experience).

The occasional anti-spammer paranoia (and sometimes very rightful) can't hurt :).

subseo, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  19. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    I sure hope not (not getting kicked I mean). I was beginning to like this community, I'm glad I found others sharing the same interests as myself. True, spamming paranoia is natural I suppose and I don't blame anyone experiencing it, but I tend to dislike it if it's aimed at me. Again, I have to agree, it is a pretty nice atmosphere here and I hope I won't have to leave it.

daemeh, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  20. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    I've been informed that Wo has increased prices to new accounts at least here in the UK. Now ikobo.com is a real alternative.

New customers are now (typically) charged £200 setup (was £100) and £360 a year ongoing (was £160). Sounds like rather a lot to me... £560 first year charges, and that's before you've started paying 4.5% transaction fees...

Expat

expat, Feb 23, 2005 IP