1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Re: Online payment options......

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by NewComputer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I think I might have found a cheaper service. It's by Natwest and they offer 9p per transaction.

If you go to www.fastpay.com and tell me what you think.

I don't know what their service is like but it seems to be the cheapest I've seen so far. No start up costs or monthly payments.

Weirfire, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    I looked at it a while back.
    It's not bad for starters as one can play on NatWest which would potentially work in the UK BUT it is like the old PayPal it requires long winded registration process and it looks like when you register that the max amount one can send is £50.....

But having said that it could yet be another choice to give to customers.....

M

expat, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  3. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Since we're talking about alternatives for Europe, I'd suggest someone takes a look at www.ikobo.com. To me it seems a good alternative since it's not limited by country coverage as paypal is and they have relatively low fees. Tell mw what you think of this service.

daemeh, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  4. expat

Best Answers:
    small print....
    .Have funds directly deposited to a US bank account or receive a Visa PLUS debit card to withdraw money at 800,000 ATM's worldwide

Not for me and it requires registration by the user

cash back 5% is just a blinder
    signs up as an iKobo Affiliate, they will automatically receive a 5% rebate on the fees that iKobo charges for each transaction

so it's not 2.9% it's just 2.76% +.29$ plus transfer fees us ->europe or atm fees via visa .

I just don't think companies triying such foggy tactics should get a license.

PayPal for all it's faults in Europe is under UK / EC banking rules no transfer fees and three or four currency accounts for free. Don't forget PP is one of the few that hold funds in each one of these three currencies (YEN USD EUR GBP) untill you decide to transfer or exchange. Presently it's absolutely phantastic as I can pay all US and Euro directly without any conversion loss even bank transfers (in currency) are free above £50.

M
    PS Funny the more I look into this the more attractive is the combination of PP & WP

expat, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  5. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you may be right, I can't be so sure about that. I've only used them for p2p money transfers so far and it's been working ok. I've looked into their merchant account offer and to me it seemed good enough. I could have been wrong of course, but if you're from somewhere where you can't use paypal, what other options are you left with?

daemeh, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  6. expat

Best Answers:
    expat, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  7. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ive just started using nochex

Seem alright - will post how they go

Any good reports or horror stories on these guys

Fishing Forum, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    A while back I signed up for Ikobo, but it was just too much of a hassle. I don't remember the specifics, but it just didn't seem worth it.

Why don't people that don't like Paypal, etc, just sign up for a merchant account at the bank :confused: ? Is it not that easy in non-US countries?

ViciousSummer, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  9. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi VS,

well to be taken seriously here in the UK and I guess in most of EC Europe one should have a Limited (Ltd) company or equivalent (similar to LLC?). As this has limited liability banks are cagy. The catch 22 is you have to be trading for a while to get a credit record. How does one trade without a merchant account? Well this is why we see all these funny offers......
    Once established it becomes easy - just send the your merchant bank / payment gateway the latest offer and ask for their reaction.....
    M

PS Than you have mentality French think nothing of using carte blue (Visa) for everything, Germans love cash, UK similar to US has so much plastic we take an atache case when we go shopping..... , but using multiple cards to find one that still is accepted is a bit alien to most Europeans

expat, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Expat!
    Hmm. Interesting! That explains the long threads on international payment providers :) .

Getting a merchant account in the US is like everything else here...fast and easy (but not necessarily good)!

ViciousSummer, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  11. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    I reckon I'm going to go with Paypal and fastpay to begin with.

Weirfire, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  12. expat

Best Answers:
    don't forget with paypal you can do USD prices and accept USD which allows you to list in Froogle! I think they are not yet ready for GBP.
    M

expat, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  13. expat

Best Answers:
    Just came off the phone to PayPal Europe. Still the slick US version of no registration required is not available in Europe and still no target date given.

So still: If you don't have a bank account in US or CAD you can't have the US version.[​IMG][​IMG]
    M

expat, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  14. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not go with both Paypal and a Merchant Account?
    Granted, the CC fees aren't the greatest (setup fee+ $20/mo +1.5% of sales, on average)- but its the cost of doing business.

Many people (myself included) prefer to pay with a CC; as it adds a level of safety when purchasing online with a company you have never dealt with before. I do not believe that paypal offers this type of protection, and tend to shy away from Paypal only sites.
    Also, have you considered that you might be losing sales because you don't offer CC payment options? It is a distinct possibility. The more payment options you offer, the better off you are, no use in losing a potential customer because they want to use their AMEX and cannot.

I would suggest doing both, and just chalk off the expense as fixed and variable overhead.

Good Luck!

carowan, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  15. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    i use verisign payment services with emerchant solutions account for all my clients and myself

arestia, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  16. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that expat. I wasn't even thinking about Froogle.

I think I'll be using PayPal and Natwest's Fastpay. I'll come back to this thread later and let you know how I'm getting on with it. :)

Weirfire, Sep 11, 2004 IP
  17. expat

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    out of interest and a ballpark number is fine, how much is veri ? allow multiple currency ? if yes how much?

Maybe you can summarise your experience in a couple of sentences...
    Thanks and cheers
    M

expat, Sep 12, 2004 IP
  18. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Weirfire

UK merchants - have a look at NOCHEX

Cheaper than paypal but do not have the name working ok for me

[​IMG]

Fishing Forum, Sep 12, 2004 IP
  19. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Thanks that looks like a competitive price.

Is there any drawbacks to Nochex over Paypal UK? I don't think my client is interested in using Dollars at this time though.

Weirfire, Sep 12, 2004 IP
  20. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    they have two options for credit card processing, payflow pro and payflow link. Here

1) payflow link consits of a easy to use popup to a page hosted on verisign to process transactions.

1) payflow pro is the processing that is installed on the server and can run higher prices based on having to purchace a SSL certificate.

i have used both for multiple clients and they have been good to us. the processing has a setup cost, a monthly cost and then they charge about a 1.8% processing fee on each transaction.

im not sure if they have multiple currency processing or not tho.

-Dan

arestia, Sep 12, 2004 IP