1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Re: Online payment options......

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by NewComputer, Jun 7, 2004.

Just a query to see who uses what for online payments and what people find the best as far as integration, cost, setup, payment options etc.... I am really only familiary with paypal, but would like to hear others feedback. I would like to incorporate into our structure some different payment options if possible.

NewComputer, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm currently using Paypal, exclusively. You just can't beat it, in my opinion.

Everyone I have talked to says that merchant accounts are just a hassle. Although, I am going to be implementing a merchant account next month, to see if it increases sales at all...I'll keep you posted :D

ViciousSummer, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  3. SEO_AM

SEO_AM Active Member

Best Answers:
    We use GeoTrust. Have been good so far.

SEO_AM, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a merchant account and it is a PITA as well as expensive when you're a small business. The merchant account fees, statement fees, transaction fees, chargback fees, software lease, terminal lease, etc........ all add up to a substantial financial burden. Granted, it's much, much easier for the customer if you have a merchant account and accept payment directly.

Now that PayPal does not require an account to make payments, I've integrated it into my shopping cart and even though it adds a bit to the checkout process, it is inexpensive and very well known. It may discourage a small percentage of buyers, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and easier for me than the expense and hassle of a merchant account.

Just my .02¢

mopacfan, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I've always been of the opinion that paypal comes off as a tad bit unprofessional..

actually, from what I've read, the fees from setting up something with authorize.net isn't very bad at all- like 100$ setup, 20$ a month, and a small % of each transaction.

I've never actually set one up yet, though.

disgust, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  6. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Ikobo.com for credit card processing ... not setup fees .. charges are reasonable, you also get an atm card to draw your money virtually anywhere in the world :-D ... and they have nice customer service.

I also take moneybookers and paypal ... but i hate the paypal customer service .. it sucks.

payoutwindow, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  7. money

money Guest

Best Answers:
    I second payoutwindow.
    Ikobo is a good alternative. 2checkout is a alternative too. But it has setup fee and its transaction fee is relatively high.

money, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  8. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I'm selling shareware so my experience is probably not entirely relevant. I'm also in Australia which also taints my views somewhat.

I use regsoft exclusively at the moment, who charge around 10-15% with no monthly fee but can send me a cheque to the land of kangaroos and wallabies. They accept payment in any form you can think of (probably including giant beanstalk seeds if you ask).

I'm going to move to another provider soon who can electronically send the money to the land of koala bears and dingoes thus eliminating the 8 week gap between end of month and the money appearing in my accounts. This provider charges around 5% less per transaction but includes a setup fee and a monthly fee of $20. I'll put their name here when I've used them for a bit.

mnemtsas, Jun 23, 2004 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Credit card via a merchant account.

schlottke, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  10. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    misohoni, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  11. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    I also use ikobo. It's a good alternative for people who can't use paypal, and it has quite a considerable country coverage. Someone mentioned Asutralia, I think they cover that as well. I'm not certain, you'll have to check that out.
    About livehuman, I also like it, from a user's perspective that is. It has helped me, actually the operators from ikobo did, with a few problems I've had.

daemeh, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just for the gateway, that's not a merchant account. Those fees are on top of the cost of having a merch. acct. Unless you're doing a booming business, the merchant fees will eat you alive :(

mopacfan, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  13. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to know what is unprofessional about it? eBay use it almost exclusively. Would you say eBay is a tad unprofessional?

compar, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  14. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's right. Authorize.net is only a gateway, in order to use it you also have to sign up for a merchant account. For small businesses a wise solution would be signing up with a third party merchant account provider which doesn't have high fees. I know it's not the same as having your own gateway, but still, it's a good choice.

daemeh, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  15. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    for US 59.95 mo which includes hosting, secure gateway, shopping cart, merchant account (your own) and more. I have been using it for a few years. Our charges are through Nova and are 2.34 percent plus 30 cents I think.

I first started using CCnow in the beginning, it was 8 percent flat rate, but I think it is 9 or 10 now.

debunked, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  16. sisqo

sisqo Banned

Best Answers:
    I own a small business and I need a third party merchant account. What payment provider do you recommend ?

sisqo, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  17. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    For your brick and mortar business, or your online business?

1. For brick and mortar ask your Bank.

2. For online business I'd go with PayPal.

compar, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  18. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    iKobo covers every country that has mastercards atm/pos machines because they give you MC debit card (iKard) connected to your account. Their fees are cheap, so whats the problem? They process Visa only. No Mastercard, Amex or Discover. That sucks, at least for me because my main customers have one of those three cards, alhough Visa is the most presence on the Net. No need to mention that in the last three-four months (thats how long they stopped processing amex & mc) I got so many messages from their support that they will fix it "in the next week" - they acted completly unprofessional. Beside that, their fraud protection is a bit rude - 50% of your cash is frozen for three months, without any incentive. Yet, their live chat is one of the rare easy-to-get support systems [2co has terrible system, you can wait a week or so to get your questions answered]

For me, PayPal sucks. Maybe for USA people its good, but their international support is VERY poor. Id rather use iKobo/2co with all their limits/fees than PayPal. I cannot say anything about their support team/software because I never used it. Because I couldnt. Due to my geographic location...

I also think that your own merchant account is the best solution for online payments - if you can afford it [paying setup & account maintaining, but note that you get the best processing fees around!] & if you really need it for your type of business... otherwise, Id go with iKobo (again, note that you have Visa processing support only with their 3rd party merchant acc.!) or go with 5.5%'s and choose 2co [higher setup fee, transaction fee, monthly card maintain fee, card withdrawal limit ($307 per transaction), ATM [per transaction] fee... everything, in comparation to the similar feautures @ iKobo]

vinyl, Jul 10, 2004 IP
  19. money

money Guest

Best Answers:
    sisgo:
    I think you can try Ikobo first. Because it has no setup fee and monthly fees. If you do not satisfied with it, You can switch to other providers without any costs. ;)

money, Jul 22, 2004 IP
  20. money

money Guest

Best Answers:
    sisgo:
    I think you can try Ikobo first. Because it has no setup fee and monthly fees. If you do not satisfied with it, You can switch to other providers without any costs. ;)

money, Jul 22, 2004 IP