1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

re: Making money from Adsense on Video sites

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jgjg, May 8, 2007.

1. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    So basically you don't break the adsense tos , you just break youtube tos, i guess.
    From the adsense point of view, by having an embedded video from youtube, it means that you have permission to use the video [given by the upoader when he signed the form at youtube] but you break the youtube tos because you use it for commercial purposes. If there is something to get you in trouble this is youtube tos;Have i got that right?
    But anyway who cares about youtube tos?

nickflame, May 10, 2007 IP
  2. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    Lmao that truely shows what an idiot you are, because you know you are wrong you have to keep getting backing up quotes from Fanaddict and saying pathetic childish stuff like that.

One tiny cell in my brain has more information than your entire cranium, your an arrogant, irritating, egotistical, childish cocksucker. Plus your wrong and wont admit it, therefore an egomaniac aswell.

Nickflame is smart enough not to listen to idiots like you, as are most of this forum, your a moron.

Also i'm not a school kid you cretin.

jon2k6, May 10, 2007 IP
  3. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    do your mummy and daddy know that you are acting up on the internet again? :rolleyes:

danimal, May 10, 2007 IP
  4. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    i can't see youtube suing people for stealing bandwidth, but that's what you open yourself up for when you break their tos... it's called theft of service.

i think that google wants publishers to be youtube scrapers, because google can't do it on the youtube website itself... but as we already proved with those emails from adsense support, google will not give you specific written permission to use adsense in violation of copyrights.

and neither will the adsense tos:

""Website publishers may not display Google ads on web pages with content protected by copyright law unless they have the necessary legal rights to display that content."
    https://www.google.com/adsense/supp...ww-et-asui&medium=link&gsessionid=7xrA_QMj6rA

danimal, May 10, 2007 IP
  5. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, exactly, and YouTube videos which are live should not be considered copyright by who ever embeds it. Eeven as Adsense have stated themsleves, any video which is live on Google video or YouTube should not be considered copyright by the publisher.

Also you are not stealing bandwith because YouTube allow people to embed their videos, if the uploader wants people to. And for the fucking last time if a video is copyright YouTube will remove it if informed so therefore will not display.

So whether or not you are breaking YouTube's TOS I don't know, but you are not breaking Adsense TOS, which is all I care about.

Also whoever uploads the video is soley responsible as stated by YouTube but obviously any legal issues are always taken up with YouTube directly. So you do not hold any responsiblity to the copyright terms of an embeded video from another user, this line sums it up nicely from the YouTube tos:

Now, 98% of this forum, fanaddict and danimal are never going to agree so we misewell just all do what we want and see who comes out on top.

jon2k6, May 10, 2007 IP
  6. FQEDcom

FQEDcom Peon

Best Answers:
    To my knowledge, the only financial gain you are receiving is from YOUR website, not from THEIR videos. Even though Youtube videos may make up the majority of your content, you're making a financial gain from all of the time (and money) you've put into your site, not from the videos.

A hypothetical situation of breaking Youtube's TOS would be a video site that embeds Youtube videos while charging $5 a month to watch "SeXy vIdEo's OnlIne!!111"

You guys are acting like you know everything, while in reality it just makes you look ignorant. (mainly danimal, he probably got those 446 posts by flaming everyone who opposes him.)

While I'm sure you would love to be right (like always); I doubt Techcrunch is wrong.

http://www.crunchnotes.com/?p=268
    http://ronaldlewis.com/2007/07/03/lawyer-wrongly-accuses-me-in-youtube-spat/

P.S. I registered just so I could respond to this stupid thread. This is a great example of how to turn a good debate into a flame war. (which I've seen danimal do twice)

FQEDcom, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  7. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    you call that "knowledge"? lol... you are a complete noob, with one link that's not relevant to this thread.

take off all THEIR videos, and tell us how much financial gain you receive on YOUR website :rolleyes:

danimal, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its possible with lots of traffic. Most video sites suffer from low cpc rates.

qwestcommunications, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  9. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    low epc because the content is not targeted... and it doesn't help when all the pages on these youtube scraper sites have gone supplemental in the search index... it's junk traffic for junk pages that have junk advertisers.

i think that google is encouraging it, tho... it's been over two months since this thread ended, and i have never heard of anyone getting banned for youtube scraping.

danimal, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  10. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    Friends , i quote from youtube tos

"E. Prohibited commercial uses do not include:

* uploading an original video to YouTube, or maintaining an original channel on Youtube, to promote your business or artistic enterprise;
    * using the Embeddable Player to show YouTube videos on an ad-enabled blog or website, provided the primary purpose of using the Embeddable Player is not to gain advertising revenue or compete with YouTube;
    * any use that YouTube expressly authorizes in writing.

So it is legal to use youtube videos on adsense supported sites.

nickflame, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  11. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google Video itself is ignoring that...and so is Aol Video...I could go on and on...

mike323, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  12. Mrwonder

Mrwonder Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I can most certainly say that youtube has about 20 to 30 % videos which are complete violation of copyright. I am saying 100 %. If we include the other minor copy right violations then the percentage would be much higher.
    Actually its not that youtube is doing it deliberately. The actual idea of youtube had built in danger of copy right violations.
    When you give the right of broadcasting to your site user then i guess not much can be done about copy rights.
    I have a feeling that although youtube is the talk of town today but the business model of youtube has serious flaws and when bad days come for google (if they come) then youtube wont be able to survive on its own business model.
    On the subject of putting videos on site and making money out of it. Well i am not too sure as i have never tried that route before. Just finished a website which fetches videos from Youtube and have adsense on it. you can see it here http://www.iqav.com and see if this sort of idea interest you.

Thanks

Mrwonder, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  13. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol... how could it be legal when you embedded the player just to gain advertising revenue? the tos that you claim to have quoted just told you to NOT do that!

thanks for proving my point, tho :rolleyes:

danimal, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  14. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, they aren't doing enuf to stop the copyright violations.

and yes, they are also currently being sued for ignoring the copyright violations on their sites.

danimal, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  15. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    i like the placement of the ad block, but the ads are completely untargeted... it's just random stuff.

so that site will have very low epc and ctr, and all the pages will go straight into the google supplemental index... there won't be any traffic from the search engines.

danimal, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  16. Mrwonder

Mrwonder Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    The ads related to youtube, video, music downloads are showing in the front page. I suppose you are talking about one ad which shows when someone click to view the video. I have to improve this script to show appropriate ads there as it shows ads to the the module which it assumes as page title.
    Thanks

Mrwonder, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  17. gkgk11

gkgk11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct. No copyright issue there.

gkgk11, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  18. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    wrong... if the video was illegally uploaded to youtube, and it's on your page, you are violating copyright law.

the youtube tos won't save you from a copyright lawsuit.

danimal, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  19. gerer

gerer Peon

Best Answers:
    referal along side google ads should work

gerer, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  20. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    on the front page i see ads for ipod copying software and music downloads, which are not relevant to a site with random videos on it.

maybe set up your site with specific topic areas, put in the relevant text, and you might get a better epc and ctr.

adsense can't possibly know what the subject matter is on the video itself, so without keyword text, you can't have targeted ads... it'll just be random cpm ads.

danimal, Jul 23, 2007 IP