1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

re: Making money from Adsense on Video sites

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jgjg, May 8, 2007.

1. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, commercial is if your making any money what so ever from your website. (adsense included)

Yes youtube is responsible for the content, but google asks you NOT to display ads on pages with videos, and videos you do not own/have a license for.

FanAddict, May 9, 2007 IP
  2. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the reply from the Adsense Support issued today.

If anyone needs to see a screen shot, post and I will gladly provide.

Now, just wondering... people with youtube, metacafe etc videos, are you still going to use them and run the risk of losing your accounts?

3. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    if I don't host a video on my site means I don't own it. As long as I don't say on my site that I own the video displayed on my site, and I don't host the video, it means I can use the video. U know those terms that sound like "you can use this image as long as you link to my site" well... I'm linking to that site and I am using the image. when that site removes the image from it's site.. it will also remove the image from my site.

p.s. I have few video blogs and google approved that I can use adsense on them.

shutzu, May 9, 2007 IP
  4. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    u see, this is the catch.
    google can't see a video, mp3 or other copyrighted material on your site, it just sees a external link to that material. as long as the owner (youtube in this case) doesn't complains that it is a copyrighted material.. you can use it

shutzu, May 9, 2007 IP
  5. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:

I don't think you understand. It doesn't matter if you don't host the video on your site, YOU are responsible for ALL content on your website when you are using google adsense on those pages. Hot linking or not, it's on your site, YOU are responsible.

Google approves of most sites, all you need is ONE person to report you, and you would be finished.

Try emailing adsense this:
    On this page URL HERE I post videos from youtube I don't have permission from the copyright holder to use, but I hotlink from youtube so it should be ok right?

I would LOVE to see their answer.

6. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever uploaded a video to youtube?
    When you upload a video and you male it public you sign there that you give permission to youtube and all visitors to use your video; this means that if the video is on youtube you have permission to use, embed, link to it etc..
    I am not sure though about the issue of commercial purposes.
    I have never heard yet that someone has been banned because they used youtube videos; But i heard a lot of people that said that google reviewed their sites with youtube on them and said it is ok.

Do not rely to much on that message, with mp3 videos, etc, that is a standard email and they deliver it whenever the keyword videos, mp3 appear in your email, they do not even bother to check;
    If you can get a personalized email from them, then perhaps i would believe that you are right.

nickflame, May 9, 2007 IP
  7. shutzu

shutzu Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you mean that if I link to your site I'm responsible for your content?

shutzu, May 9, 2007 IP
  8. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your right, that is a modified standard email.

YOU alone are responsible for content on your website, hot linked or not.

YOU are responsible about your content, linking as well. Do you think you can link to p0rn sites and get away with it? I doubt it.

Anyways, i'm out of this thread, iv said all I could - people who take my word on this, you will be wiser because of it!

9. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    that is correct, you can be sued for the links on your website:

"In April, a Beijing court ordered Yahoo! China to pay about 200,000 yuan (26,000 dollars) in damages for assisting downloads of unlicensed music in other websites and delete 229 links to free songs... The Beijing Court has confirmed that Yahoo China has clear responsibility for removing all links to the infringing tracks on its service," Kennedy, the IFPI's chairman and CEO said in a statement. "Because this is a judgment made under new regulations in China, today's judgment supersedes the previous decision on Baidu and confirms the responsibility of all similar music search providers in China." Yahoo! China plans to file an appeal."
    http://www.linksandlaw.com/news-update49-yahoo-china-lawsuit.htm

do you need to see more examples of it?

fyi, shutzu is from romania, which has modern copyright laws, but never prosecutes anyone for copyright violations... not a personal attack against him, but his opinions are simply not relevant to countries that enforce copyright laws.

danimal, May 9, 2007 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    WRONG.

youtube scrapers do NOT have copyright permission to use any youtube video, because they broke the youtube tos when they used the videos for commercial gain... this was already covered in the other thread, with links to all the relevant tos and copyright laws.

i do agree with your claim that google is ignoring this, wrt publishers... NOW TELL US WHY THERE IS NO ADSENSE ON YOUTUBE PAGES WITH EMBEDDED VIDEO.

danimal, May 9, 2007 IP
  11. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    WRONG.

YOUTUBE NEVER OWNS THE COPYRIGHT TO ANY VIDEO ON THE YOUTUBE WEBSITE.

stop posting garbage mis-information to this thread, the true facts are in the youtube tos that i posted to the other thread.

danimal, May 9, 2007 IP
  12. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is my last post in this thread... I swear :)

I just had to give you a thumbs up for trying my friend! I don't think they care honestly, or don't want to see the truth. But good on ya :) keep it up...

I left you some nice greens :D

13. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So every site with adsense ads is commercial one ?
    The same goes then for text-link-ads and links I sell via DP forum ?

I don't know about US laws but from my farmer logic I would think that if some company which sells tractors embed youtube video showing how fast some kids can go with a tractor then that would be violation of youtube terms ( using video for commercial purposes )

I think that hobby website showing you how to make your own telescope and grind your newtonian mirror and there is one google adsense adlink unit then that website not commercial or am I wrong ?

Complicated stuff :D

iatbm, May 9, 2007 IP
  14. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    That's the most stupid comment I've seen from a narcisist yet.

FanAddict, just because you have looked into a certain rule wrongly doesn't mean everyone else but you is wrong, means you are.

I am having Google check out my site and review the video pages and they said it was fine. I wouldn't risk losing my account on a fucking hunch.

But of course, Shoemoney, other Adsense monsters, Putfile, and millions of other people but you and danimal must be wrong... yeh.

The reason I wont give you my url is because for all I know you could clickbomb it or anything or do anything with it, I'd rather not pass it round in a heated debate thanks.
    But I've no problem showing to Google myself, so shutup you moronic invalid bigot.

jon2k6, May 9, 2007 IP
  15. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    Also 'danimal'

Because YouTube have fucking sponsors gallore and don't need Adsense, also the videos are THEIR responsiblity. But if a webmaster embeds a video, that is STILL Google / YouTubes responsiblity, now stop chatting shit. If you had a brain you'd be dangerous.

jon2k6, May 9, 2007 IP
    jgjg likes this.
  16. Sparaker

Sparaker Peon

Best Answers:

I totally agree with jon2k6. Youtube is also owned by google and google doesn't places adsense on each and every product they own. Orkut doesn't has ads or does it ? so its no point that since youtube's own website doesn't has adsense, you can't place adsense on pages with embedded youtube. People like fanaddict and danimal are the ones who mis guide people and tell them something like "OH NO DON'T DO THAT AT ALL. ITS TOTALLY WRONG, YOU'LL GET BANNED."

They do this thinking that they are doing us a favor while they are NOT. All fanaddict did was that he kept on pasting that one reply from adsense on and on. My friend has a funny videos website and he has placed youtube and adsense. His website has been running from about 5 years now, not with adsense but yeah he makes alot with adsense and google never told him anything like remove youtube or adsense. Just think practically, google always looks in the advertisers best interest .... how could a youtube video possibly hurt an advertiser ?

Sparaker, May 10, 2007 IP
  17. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not know why youtube does not put adsense on video pages, but check metacafe which is A VERY BIG PUBLISHER, and it puts embedded videos with google adsense ads;
    Also the videos on metacafe are similar to those at youtube, meaning they are uploaded by users and so on.
    Wat I want to say is this: if i create an original video an upload it to youtube, then i sign a form where i say that i give permission to youtube and others persons to use link embed my video. This means that whoever embeds my video on their blog has copyright permission to use my video, providing that they do not use it for commercial purposes;
    I dont know if adsense sites are considered commercial sites...

nickflame, May 10, 2007 IP
  18. jon2k6

jon2k6 Guest

Best Answers:
    No they aren't because you are not getting financial gain from the video therefore the video is not being used commercially, the ads are which are not coherent to the video.

By the way I emailed Google about placing ads on same page with YouTube videos and they said it was fine as long as you have permission to use the video. Anyone who uploads and allows you to embed is allowing you to use it. So it is fine, and if anything is copyrighted and YouTube find out - they remove it so it won't display anymore, therefore you aren't breaking any TOS.

Fanaddict and danimal are wrong but they're both egomaniacs so wont admit it.

jon2k6, May 10, 2007 IP
  19. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks, we do it for people like nickflame, who is really trying to understand this stuff.

school kids like jon2k6 simply don't have the intellectual capacity to understand what they have been reading.

danimal, May 10, 2007 IP
  20. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    how could adsense not be commercial? are you a non-profit organization? this was already covered in the other thread:

"With respect to vicarious infringement, the court held that Google derived direct financial benefit from infringement of P10's copyright (in the form of AdWords and AdSense profits), but that it had no power to stop the infringements even if it knew of them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_10_v._Google_Inc

that's why google does not put adsense on it's own youtube video pages... they don't pre-screen the videos, so there is massive copyright infringment taking place on the youtube website.

google doesn't give a rats ass if you or metacafe get sued for copyright infringment, because they are making $$$ off of it... so they ignore their own tos.

danimal, May 10, 2007 IP