1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Raw affiliate URL's or Mask/Redirect them?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mkcoy, Jun 5, 2015.

Say I have a top 10 post on my site for some sites and after each description of each site I want to link to that site with my affiliate/referral URL.

Is it a good idea to mask the URL or just use as is?

I use a php file and just use something like this within it

<?php
    header("Location:[URL]http://arandomsite.com/refid123[/URL]");
    exit();
    ?>
    Code (markup):
    Then save it as site1.php etc and link to that.

If I do that, can Google still see the URL?

Would it be better to do that so that I don't have x amount of OBL's on the page?

As far as Google sees them, they would be internal links?

Thanks.

Mkcoy, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  2. meethi jain

meethi jain Active Member

Best Answers:
    no, its not good, google can drop you website.

meethi jain, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  3. murfe

murfe Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would rather be safe than sorry.You want to always mask you affiliate links.
    You can just forward a domain name to point at your affiliate link.This makes the link look more professional,and it keeps people from
    editing your link and possibly stealing your commissions.

murfe, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  4. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should leave the URL as it is. Not only it looks bad, google also can possibly drop it down, it's also makes the site looks infected.

SocialSignals, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  5. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean? Why would Google "drop" my website for having some affiliate/referral links on it?
    Is there any evidence or something you can back this up with???
    That doesn't make sense. You're saying leave the URL as it is. But that leaving it as it is makes it "look bad" and that the site "looks infected"
    What do you mean by this? Why does it "look bad" to have affiliate/referral urls and what about that makes it look infected? So leave as they are or mask them? What are you saying?
    And why would Google "drop it down" for having them?

If you're going to say something like that people, at least back it up with something to validate what you are saying?

Mkcoy, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  6. SocialSignals

SocialSignals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not having affiliate urls by itself, but shortened urls usually have a bad rep. I'm not contradicting myself, I'm saying leaving urls as they is preferable to shortening them. (Not only you will get more clicks, since even your average joe knows to avoid them, if not for anything else, in that they will just be a waste of his time.) Shortening urls makes the site itself look... unethical. Think of it like this: 1 out of a thousand shortened urls take the user where they promise.
    It'd be like you wearing a black mask over your face for kicks, another category of people already do that, and it stands for something completely different then you intend. It's also bad about logarithms about searching, but let's not get to that.
    It is also why I can "figure" what google would do without having statistics about how google will actually react. It wouldn't be strong, because your are not making any infringement, but there is such a thing as loosing out of not beeing chosen as the prefereed.

SocialSignals, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  7. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alright thanks. That sort of helps. I don't believe in using shortened URLs everywhere either. Especially not for a long term thing on a website. Unless its a stupid long URL. Usually short URLs are used on things like social networks and other temporary things.

But what about using the php redirect method? Then link to it like site.com/go/link1.php

Can Google still see that as an external link or it will think it's an internal link?

Mkcoy, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Just do it in the .htaccess file.

dcristo, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  9. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do what in the htaccess file? Do it how? We're not idiots but we're not all super clued up as well!!

Mkcoy, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Settle down champ. That's not the way you go about asking someone for help.

dcristo, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  11. yragcom1

yragcom1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google HATES affiliate links. Google HATES affiliates. Cloak your links. Listen to the old guys when it comes to this.

yragcom1, Jun 6, 2015 IP
  12. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Interesting you to say this. Do you also have any evidence you can show that confirms that Google HATES affiliate links and affiliates?

I get what you are saying that we should "cloak our affiliate links". But when it comes to cloaking, like the above poster has said, it can bring question to the site and the visitor you know ? Like why are they trying to cloak the link? And also what type of cloak should you do? Which link cloaking method is best? How far can you go before the link truly is cloaked? And if Google hates affiliates and aff links and those that cloak them then isn't it the same thing trying to cloak a link as it is just dirty affiliate linking?

Is there a full proof way of cloaking links so that they look natural to visitors and safe to mr google?

Mkcoy, Jun 6, 2015 IP