1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rankings Wrong

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by tammysue, Mar 16, 2011.

I think what he means by garbage is that the rankings aren't always accurate. I was just looking at a keyword and it indicated N/A. I copied the keyword and did a search in Google and found that it was #1. Why the disparity? I frequently find there is a disparity in what the rankings are on DP and what they are in Google. I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed some light on this.

tammysue, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you are logged into Google when you search you will get personalised results. If I'm looking for unpersonalised results I'll open a different browser and search there. However they will be localised so NZ content ranks higher. To get truly "american" results I use my iPad or the tools here.

sarahk, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is a keyword/URL combo example you think it's reporting incorrectly?

digitalpoint, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  4. RomanticGuy

RomanticGuy Active Member

Best Answers:
    TammySue is my wife. We try to update our rankings in the keyword tracker daily by clicking the "Check All Rankings" link. About March 9th, many of the keywords we track went to N/A. When we checked on Google, the sites still ranked on the first page. I tried to click the keyword link to try to see if the keyword tracker would display the ranking for the keyword, but that did not fix the problem. (I receive a black block with only a "close" link. I noticed that my wife's account displays the sites ranking for the keyword. PC configuration issue for me?) Over the next week, the keyword tracker showed a few of the keywords were ranking again, but most were still listed as N/A.

I tried a number of different options to see if I could get the keyword tracker to display a ranking for the keyword:
    1) Adding the keyword again (without deleting it first)
    2) Adding the keyword with www. on the URL
    3) Adding the keyword with the URL in lowercase

After trying a few of these, I found that I could get the keyword tracker to display a ranking for the keyword by linking on the keyword link. That worked a few times and then it stopped working again.

What I ultimately discovered was if I got the black status window to display something (adding a new keyword that shows the search engine results or displaying a graph of the ranking for a keyword), I could individually click on the keywords and get the keyword tracker to display a ranking for the keyword. It appears as though it stops working again once I try to get the ranking for a keyword that doesn't rank in the top 25.

I managed to get the rankings for all my keywords that previously ranked in the top 25 with the exception of a handful that have had their ranking drop below the top 25. I am not sure if the "Check All Rankings" link will work for me tomorrow or not....

RomanticGuy, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There has been some reported issues with Google throttling users from making a ton of API calls in a short period of time. This thread has some info on it as well as a solution that has worked for some people by adding a sleep() function to the tracker script to slow it down.

digitalpoint, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  6. RomanticGuy

RomanticGuy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Shawn. The sleep function fixed the bigger problem.

We have had an ongoing problem with some keywords displaying as N/A when they currently rank in Google. Two examples are:

Currently ranks #1 in Google, but N/A in the keyword tracker:
    quality lamp reviews qualitylampreviews.com Google N/A

and

Currently ranks #4 in Google, but N/A in the keyword tracker:
    good pillows www.goodpillows.com Google N/A

For some website/keyword combinations, the keyword tracker has never displayed the ranking. I have never been able to figure out why there is a problem with some website/keyword combinations.

RomanticGuy, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It looks like the Google API isn't returning those in it's results for some reason. Are they newish sites? Could be data center flux...

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  8. wisestep2

wisestep2 Peon

Best Answers:
    How do we use keyword Tracker tool?

wisestep2, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What problem are you having exactly using it?

digitalpoint, Mar 25, 2011 IP