1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking of sites with keywords in URL

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by theredgiant, Jun 4, 2008.

I have a few questions.

Suppose I want to rank high for a keyword, say laptop. Then which one of these URLs will rank better?

1. www.laptopsomething.com
    2. laptop.something.com

Now will this URL work?
    3. www.something.com/laptop

Also if I have to throw in some unrelated words into the URL in conjunction to the keywords just to get it, will it harm my ranking?

theredgiant, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  2. union_jakk

union_jakk Peon

Best Answers:
    If the whole site is just about laptops then the first one is best laptopsomething.com

if you have multiple topics then the last one:

www.something.com/laptops
    www.something.com/mobilephones
    www.something.com/desktoppc

only use subdomains if your site is a super mega site and you have so much content you need to sub categorise it but even then subdomains never perform as well primary domains in my experience.

union_jakk, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  3. xander1083

xander1083 Banned

Best Answers:
    i agree with union_jack the first one is better if you want to rank your index page that deals with laptop but if your site is about computer then the second one is better, acts as a sub domain.

xander1083, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  4. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Remember, you don't "need" to have the keywords in the URL to rank #1 for those keywords, it helps but it's required. I use to rank a humor website #1 for "funny pictures" before I sold it last year and never had the keyword phrase "funny pictures" show up anywhere in the URL structure; and yes it's a very very competitive keyword phrase. What you want to do is get a brandable domain name, something people can easily remember and type-in directly in the future, this may or may not be able to include laptop in it.

astup1didiot, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  5. Emily Miller

Emily Miller Peon

Best Answers:
    first is better

Emily Miller, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  6. onlineshopping

onlineshopping Banned

Best Answers:
    I do think the same.

onlineshopping, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  7. WhoJayBe

WhoJayBe Peon

Best Answers:
    The first would be better but ssandecki says it best, you don't NEED the keyword in your URL. But the chances of you getting on the frontpage for the keyword "laptop" is going to be VERY hard...

WhoJayBe, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  8. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in such a competitive keyword you definetly should use any advantage that you can

ninjashoes, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  9. mullman99

mullman99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Remember, you don't "need" to have the keywords in the URL to rank #1 for those keywords, it helps but it's required. I use to rank a humor website #1 for "funny pictures" before I sold it last year and never had the keyword phrase "funny pictures" show up anywhere in the URL structure; and yes it's a very very competitive keyword phrase. What you want to do is get a brandable domain name, something people can easily remember and type-in directly in the future, this may or may not be able to include laptop in it.

I agree, well said

mullman99, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  10. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    The major benefit of having your keywords in your domain name is when you get natural links. Other webmasters who link to your site naturally often use your web site domain name as the link text. So in your example a lot of your incoming links would read "Lap Top Something". This will boost your rankings in the SERPs for all 3 keywords.

freelistfool, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  11. mobileshub

mobileshub Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I dont agree with you SEO2Indians. SEO is an open source what is required is just thorough knowledge & practice.

It would be more better if you can speak more openly in DP rather than an intentional approach to promote your business.

Thanks

mobileshub, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  12. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another promotion of site, will you please stop this kind of thing, there are many members who look for suggestions and answers here in DP Forums, i agree to mobile that It would be more better if you can speak more openly. Share your knowledge so that others would learn. :eek:

JessieJames27, Jun 4, 2008 IP
  13. theredgiant

theredgiant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies.

theredgiant, Jun 5, 2008 IP