1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking is bouncing!!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Christopher Hemingsworth, Oct 31, 2013.

Hey guys, I recently ranked a keyword, starting at 29th spot, but about a day later, it completely fell from its ranking, and didn't get back up. So basically all I see is it ranking for 29th spot for about a day, and then it's just gone. I've never seen this before, and was wondering if anyone knows why this is happening? Thanks :p
    Solved! View solution.
  2. cvthatworks

cvthatworks Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

What did you do to rank the keyword? If you just used anchor text links the chances are that you have an over optimisation policy so you need to dilute the anchor text by creating generic links with anchor text like website, click here, etc. Could also be spammy/ poor links or the on page content is too optimised but i think that's less likely
    cvthatworks, Oct 31, 2013 IP
    I have noticed a range of things shuffling around lately. I would not worry about it too much.

Nigel
    Nigel Lew, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  4. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    If you have just started working on a keyword SEO wise, it is perfectly normal. Rankings are expected to shuffle back and forth during initial stages of SEO, so don't worry and continue your work.
    hope this helps.
  5. Scritty

Scritty Peon

Best Answers:
    While Vijay is right and it could be the "new phrase Google dance" it's worth noting the SERP noise that has been at a higher than normal level for a few days.

Metrics like Mozcast which measure SERP movement and have a nominal average of 60 (and an actual average over the last 400 days of quite a bit under 60 in reality) shows that highs of 77 were reached in the last week, and although the "noise" is slowly reducing, it is still some way higher than the average.

Wednesday saw many of the top commercial terms and million plus a day none commercial search terms lose their URL specificity. i.e Google was reporting only domain level results rather than the best URL on that domain. This went on for about 14 hours and is likely to have had an effect on the URL noise if not the domain level noise.
    Also some of the big players of SEO on Google+ were reporting unusual incidents of "domain crowding" for a short period of time concurrent with that.

No idea what's causing it, but you might want to be aware that overall SERP movements are substantially higher over the past week than the norm and that might be a contributing factor.

Paul Rone-Clarke
    Scritty, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  6. webfantasy

webfantasy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you just used anchor text links the chances are that you have an over optimisation policy so you need to dilute the anchor text by creating generic links with anchor text
    webfantasy, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  7. Christopher Hemingsworth

Christopher Hemingsworth Member

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, found out what it was, turned out to be a link I bought where the guy put it in the footer, so it was sitewide :mad:. Thanks for all the anwsers!:D