1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking in top 10 for all keywords, is there room for improvement?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Cbrooker, Sep 23, 2008.

After 5 months of SEO, I've managed to rank anywhere from #1 to #10 for the top 20 keywords that I've selected for my niche, which has resulted in traffic going from around 250 in March 2008 unique visitors a month to around 3500 - 4000 visitors a month now.

The sites that rank higher than me are WikiPedia, several major players in my niche (PR8, PR7, PR6 sites), and I've done everything that I can think of to rank higher, but it's like I've struck a wall or something.

I have at times improved a #10 ranking to #9 at times, but no matter how much content I write, or how many relevant backlinks that I obtain, it seems that I am not making progress.

Traffic is steady enough and now generates a very healthy income from this one site, but are my efforts to rank better futile? The niche that I occupy is not a "high volume" niche, and from what I can see, I'm capturing my fair share of searches per month.

Comments / suggestions please. Should I turn my attentions to developing another site using the same techniques or continue with what I'm doing to dominate this particular niche?
    Cbrooker, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Well-Known Member

I think you should keep at it. It is relatively easy to get to rank #10 - 20, but it gets progressively tougher to climb in the rankings the higher you get. So it might take a lot to raise your rankings further, but it would be worth it. Take some time to analyze the backlinks of each website ahead of you. See if you can copy any of these links. Once you analyze most of your major competition's backlinks, do the same for some other related keywords.

Also re-examine any strategies that you have tried in the past, but not fully exploited.

The traffic difference from #10 to top 3 is quite significant. So if you can crack the top 3 - 5, you will be quite pleased with the results.
    vansterdam, Sep 23, 2008 IP