1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rank Loss?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Midnightbex, May 18, 2004.

As of friday I had some high ranking in important keywords for my website. However, when I checked today the site is completely off most of those keywords. Anyone know what might have caused this? :confused:

Midnightbex, May 18, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Would help if we knew which site and what the keywords were. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 18, 2004 IP
  3. Midnightbex

Midnightbex Guest

Best Answers:
    The site is www.hitechmachinery.com. A few of the keywords are 'used system 3r', 'used cnc accessories', and 'hole drillers'. I'm also getting a substantial rank loss in 'agie machinery', 'mits consumables', 'mitsubishi edm', and 'current edm'.

I've just started out trying to get the site optimized and it seemed to be going rather well until today. Help??!

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you doing any off-site optimization (links with your keywords as anchor text)? Those terms are not really all that competitive, so it should be pretty easy to rank #1 for all of them with some off-site optimization.

Also, if the site is relative new, your initial good rankings might have been because it was a new/fresh site.

- Shawn

5. Midnightbex

Midnightbex Guest

Best Answers:
    I do have some offsite links using those keywords, but they don't seem to be helping at the moment.

The site isn't new at all. It's been up for over 4 years now and has been decently ranked the entire time. Nothing big has been changed since last August when we uploaded a new layout. So it couldn't have been highly ranked due to that.

Thanks for the attempt though!

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, my best suggestion would be to get more links. Your site is only showing one reported by Google (which generally are the PR4+ ones).

http://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.hitechmachinery.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

But even that page, has so many existing links on it, that it's probably of any real use (since the value is shared between all other links). Also, try to get a DMOZ listing if you haven't already.

- Shawn

7. Midnightbex

Midnightbex Guest

Best Answers:
    That might be the source of the problem. There used to be more links reported there.

We are listed at DMOZ, though that doesn't appear to be helping either.

Thanks for the suggestions!

8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Was your site new to the index within the last 60 days, or so?

schlottke, May 18, 2004 IP
  9. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    It just happens sometimes. Sometimes a single day you are completely out of the index. 48 hours later you are back at the old place. I dont know why but it happend to me a couple of times and when you lose like 1000 places and havent done anything bad, then you are probably back soon.

Dirkjan, May 19, 2004 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    What is an oblivion drop?

An oblivion drop is when a web page falls completely off of the SERPS (search engine result pages).

This is different from just falling in the SERPS. If your web page is the 866th result returned, it isn't oblivion dropped -- it just has problems!

Early in 2004, webmasters noticed that some web pages, for some search terms, would be oblivion dropped occasionally for random lengths of time. No one outside of Google seems to know the cause for this phenonenon.

An example would be if one day without notice this page fell from being the #12 Google result for the search term "oblivion drop" to not being returned at all in a Google search for "oblivion drop".

Most oblivion drops seem to last for a day, and are therefore not too serious. There have been reports of much longer, and therefore more serious, oblivion drops.

Will.Spencer, May 19, 2004 IP
  11. Midnightbex

Midnightbex Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd never heard of an oblivion drop before. That does explain what might have happened to the page. Keywords I was ranked in the top 10 on inexplicably dropped off the ranks, but now they're back. Very weird.

Thanks for the info!

Midnightbex, May 25, 2004 IP
  12. adbuckle

adbuckle Guest

Best Answers:
    Google is paying around with the index in June alot. I would focus on continued quality offpage seo. I predict Google is working on some major algo changes.

adbuckle, Jul 1, 2008 IP