1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Random text on pages - how often?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by briandunning, Nov 29, 2004.

I use random text on pages - basically just adding a couple of famous quotes to the bottom of the page from a database - as a strategy to have "fresh content."

The script just grabs a couple randomly every time. Does anyone think it would be better to keep them the same for a particular period of time? Any chance Google might hit it twice in succession, notice the change every time, and decide to penalize me?

Obviously it would be a bigger pain in the ass to keep the quotes the same for a day or so, than it is to just randomly draw them every time.

briandunning, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  2. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    Should be no problem with constantly changing content - I have a number of decently ranked sites with random quotes, tips or facts displayed on each page. After all how many news portals get penalised - or forums.digitalpoint for that matter. One thing it will do is keep Googlebot returning regularly to your site which will lead to your internal pages and linked sites being picked up very quickly.

Mick

Arnica, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  3. greatlinks

greatlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried from 1 week to 1 minute. Does not matter much as long as it is < 24 hours. More than that will have negative effect for freshbot

greatlinks, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  4. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    What;s your experiences with the amount of text? I randomly show 10-15 links from a pool of over a hundred - each with a 2-3 word anchor text. That's probably not enough in comparison to the rest of the content to get the spider to think it is fresh content.

crew, Dec 3, 2004 IP