1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Random page

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Chiara, Jun 12, 2004.

Does anyone know of a good script that will generate a random page from a list of pages within a site if a visitor clicks a link?

Chiara, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  2. Voyager

Voyager Guest

Best Answers:
    Voyager, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  3. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! On a related note, how can I get what Shawn has on his tools page, a script to post on my index page listing recent topics in the forum? I love that.

Chiara, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Simply do a db SELECT statement and specify the number of items you want, from which table and sort by date. You can choose most recent topics, most recent posts, etc. Whichever you'd like to display. It's just a simple db query really. Then display it with php or whatever you use.

T0PS3O, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  5. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    Er, yeah, I guess I'm getting in over my head because I don't know what any of that means. I'm using a phpBB board and I what I'd love to have is on each category page of site, have a box that says, "Recent posts in the X message board forum" and on another page, "Recent posts in the Y message board forum."

Chiara, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you can't program it yourself then you have to find an existng one which I haven't seen. Try hotscripts.com or similar sites.

T0PS3O, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  7. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I can't program it myself. Is this site only for advanced programmers. There are probably a lot of other people here like me who are baffled when we ask questions and get back answers that seem like Greek. :)

Chiara, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I've studied Greek... But have to say that studying PHP has turned out to be more useful! I can recommend it to anyone.

Anyway, you really need to know the lay out of your database tables before you can write sucht a little script so that is the least you need to know. If it's like phpBB or Vbulletin then you could ask webmasters who already have that snippet of code because the database tables and rows it refers to will then be the same.

But if that stuff interests you, I'd still go buy 'The PHP Bible' and leatn how to do it yourself. Not that hard at all and you can do some amazing stuff with it.

T0PS3O, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  9. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. I don't really want to get into heavy programming stuff. Maybe one day ...

I'm not putting up message boards right away so I'll just deal with this later. I just like to plan ahead so I thought I'd ask. :)

Chiara, Jun 22, 2004 IP