1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rand Fishkin upsets directory owners?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by BFTUK, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The list of recommended directories is pretty useless.

Dave E, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL John. That is only an example. But hey thats great since you find time while blabbering in the forum, adding useful sites to a vast indexed of categories with no listing. There is no value to that and that is primarily aimed as deception and most who does that while finding time blabbering and making them KNOWN to MEN are just plainly a thief and let say a very professional one who can manipulate.

Lets put it this way when is the last time a top category was updated by adding JUST even ONE Value site. Time for improving the QUALITY has never taken place but the time blabbering here in the forum has taken more. :rolleyes:

JoeAnt has been adding sites Dave and its doing well Latest Addition

popotalk, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  3. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been saying that for years!

Fahd, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  4. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends from where you're starting. No PR and no traffic makes many directories seem valuable. Once you're at the top of the tree you can afford to be more discriminating.

dburdon, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol Dave-- u r so quick --you edited:p I was just going to tell ya that Joeant (It is always on my top5 list of must submit) is one of the oldest and most authoritative directories on the net. Please check HERE

Someone--reported Joeant for selling links on Matt's Blog --and as Matt is aware of it --thats why his positive views on quality directories.:cool:

Relieved :eek:

jhnrang, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its true and some are even quick to jump and gang bang people. I regretted what I did and making things right from now on.

Back to topic.

It may not harm to a precious time frame to add 1 site a day but because those who don't are far more inclined on something else fishy. Manipulating people for their own gain. :rolleyes:

LeopardAt1 and saadahmed007 like this.
  7. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its a matter of perspective .... he thinks differently

alot of his points i might not agree with but offend me no ...

Thats why there is a thing called Freedom of Speech.

I just think some of his points like adding anysite which pays are wrong / right.

Because some directory owners might approve any site which pays. At Genuine Paid Directory, I Charge for a Review not a listing .... so if you make a submission and i dont like the site ... too bad there ... It won't be approved.

Talk about Quality Content....

A site can never have enough content !!! If that was the case google will stop indexing any more site.... in the database.

I have some content and striving for the best and adding more as time pass. I believe thats how everything progress. Slowly and smoothly so you get the best results rather than rushing.

Stupid Domains ???

what do you call google.com << What does that mean ?? explain to me please.

A domain is a brand < u can pick whatever.

I mean what exactly is SEOmoz << thts just a brand ... one another stupid domain if you say ... (where the owner promotes itself) and become popular.

Every stupid domain becomes popular .. so now a domain can't be stupid unless some one go and make a domain

asdfasdf-asdfasf-asdfasfa-asfdasfd-asfdasdf-asfdasfdsaf-afasfa-af.com

now thts what i call stupid and i will never type tht in.

Few Relevant Inlinks ... hmm i wonder what was that all about.

Yeah directories have empty categories ... and some owners work on it and some don't so Rand you should stay away from that point by accusing all owners to have that.

I am working hard on adding links and most relevant links to each category so they won't be empty.... all non-profit organizations gets a free link at idk.in

General Subject ??? care to explain a bit more...

This is crazy to say that general sites are not good and only niche's should survive....

smub, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  8. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both of my listings are supplemental. The list is pretty useless, it lists a load of directories that arn't actually directories just link pages on blogs and stuff, besides the few that I am already listed in UTN, V7N, elib, Yahoo and a couple of others there wasn't a single directory suitable for a webmaster related site.

Dave E, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol Dave --I am yet to find a site that does not have supplemental results/pages.
    Google itself has over 700K --you have over 300 -- I have over 1300 -- Yahoo has --:confused:

About listing directories --I have listed mine there -- when I do search it comes up. Otherwise I can't find it.:confused: I am yet to know how to use it.

Also --I do a lot of search on Yahoo directory pages --and many times I find it listing deep sub-pages too. So is DMOZ ( The skeleton of the web). It is quite common to even find Geocity pages on both of them

Soooo-- it depends on how one judges quality-- I am going by Google's line.

jhnrang, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  10. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Biz-Dir only has 46 most of which are the 2nd category pages sort by PageRank. eWebPages only has 56 which is even more impressive considering how many pages he has. Joeant lists any old crap:

http://www.seobook.com/archives/002167.shtml

and they don't look after there submitters, they have not looked after me anyway, waste of $80, some websites seem to get looked after more then others and get all of those little extra links on other related detail pages. The two supplemental links that I have got are probably not worth anything

Dave E, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep --just checked the supplementals --I see only 49 for your Biz on my DC:p

Thats just great.:D

jhnrang, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are definitely onpoint with your directory; both you and CReed of ewebpages.org.
    It's definitely the reason I submitted to both without hestitation.
    Both honest individuals striving for integrity for your directories.

Make no mistake about it, I've learned from you both, whether you realize it or not. :)

an0n, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All I was saying anon is I am trying my best to duplicate quality sites like ewebpages or aviva to better things or improve my spammy duplicate directory and i know i lack ideology, innovation or betterment and I had asked Matt Cutts on many things myself and also if news feeds are counted in directories with vast amount of categories without any content so I could do the same too. Anyway if he answers my question I will let everyone know. ;)

For every ones info this whole directory thread or forum in general is being monitored qouted by dp members already at Matt Cutts Blog.
    Also I have looked at the record and I remember that one stated that he/she can beat GOOGLE anytime in order to gain rank (SPAMMING) which I also forwarded to Matt Cutts.

14. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think he makes a fair point about general directories, because he seems to be talking about one-person operations that probably aren't the main focus of the webmaster's activities anyway. To make a general directory really useful you need plenty of content, otherwise it's too diffuse to have much on any one topic.

I've heard 10000 listings used as a benchmark number for a serious directory. That's way more than one individual can add and maintain. Any general directory with fewer listings than that would do well to hire some editors to add more content, or reduce the scope of the directory so that it targets a niche instead.

Obelia, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  15. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I see numerous directories with that many listings plus that still won't measure up. I prefer to not add an editorial staff at this time; I'm enjoying creating and seeding new categories. It could change in the future, but then again, I'm not in a rush to reach any milestones. :)

CReed, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  16. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    That post was just another way of getting more people to try and sign up for their membership. We all know that they submit their clients to directories and I am sure that they use Jeff's list to do so.

I think I'll take a drive down the street to the U-District and have a talk with Rand face to face.

banless, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why duplicate? That's what google is strictly against; duplicate content.
    For that, just *use* ewebpages or aviva

regarding categories, feeds and whatnot, take these words of wisdom from a TRUSTED directory owner and real friend into account, and not some QBC:

an0n, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to get Rand's view on a paid link next.

Afterall, a listing is a paid link, and they wind up on the front for a period of time for the most part in a lot of directories, just the same as regular advertising/advertisiers do.
    What is the difference.

an0n, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  20. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Interesting indeed.. :)

Well i see alot of what hes says true to an extent and it can be measured in that directories back links as well as content and not always page rank as
    not even google is perfect. I didn't think he would go against aviva strongest list being that its his own tool is the major contributer to results. ;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 20, 2007 IP