1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Racist? "Indians Only..."

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by recraig2, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasyoun

gasyoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Inians = cheap.
    Indians = Indian English, cheap English.

gasyoun, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  2. recraig2

recraig2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To Melanie.c.jones:

Saying "Indians Only" is saying nothing about location, since Indians live all over the world. Likewise, non-Indians live in India. Why do you assume the pay will be sub-standard if the ad is requesting Indians only reply?

Well, if they are looking for someone cheap, it would be far more expedient to say how much they can spend, rather than limiting it by race. It should be quite denigrating to Indians, frankly.

I doubt this, since it works far better to simply state the price and that it is non-negotiable, than to make an unrelated remark about a race limitation. Also, this could be a denigrating remark about Indians working cheaper, that you have made. I know a couple of Indians whose work is impeccable and do not work for cheap.

All of these are good points why someone might say this, but they are not good reasons to say this. All of these could be fulfilled by someone who is not Indian, but living in India. For example, I have a couple of Ukrainian clients who have been living in India for quite some time and who return to India often. They could fulfill these needs. So, I must disagree again. This still stands as a racist comment, regardless of intention. No convincing arguments have been made that this is not racist, merely that the intention of the poster might not be racist. We cannot know the intentions of every poster asking for Indians Only. We can judge the statement, though.

Now, I think you've hit it. It is to help a brother out. That is how it comes across to me too. However, that makes me even more prone to call this racist, or at least patriotic. Let's face it though, patriotism has often been a cloak of racism. Need I drag out the multitude of examples from history?

Wow! You have actually made a racist remark, perhaps unknowingly. Amazing!

And you have posted on it? Hmm... I don't think I need to say any more about that.

You don't need to read it and you certainly don't need to comment here if you don't like it.

And you think only people of the Indian race can do these things? You believe that only people of the Indian race live in India? I hope you are not so naive.

= Racist remark

They are not asking for writers from India. They are asking for Indians Only. There are non-Indian writers in India, but the posters are excluding them and accepting writers from other countries, such as the U.S., who are Indians (even if they were born in the U.S.). So this is not the same as your case.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
    recraig2, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Back from a ban and already stirring up the pot. I like your style :)

dcristo, Sep 11, 2012 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My post has been deleted and I have been punished. There are indeed times that my perceived sense of humor,is appreciated by me alone.:)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 11, 2012 IP
  5. ElleSorbet

ElleSorbet Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this - and if you look on places like Odesk or Freelancer....or even just read threads specifically looking for people of specific races, etc....it's because payment is lower. A lot of those posts aren't looking for an Indian per say..but someone from India (or whatever country) - because it's cheaper to live there, so paying $1 for 500 words would fly with writers while so many from the US would scoff at that price.

ElleSorbet, Sep 11, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.